Question Having trouble deciding between 3060 and 3070 for laptop

valreesio

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
1. What is your budget? $2000.00 (before taxes)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? HD/2k

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Semi portable as my wife wont lug around 10 pounds from room to room, 7 pounds or less +/-

5. How much battery life do you need? Always plugged in

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Skyrim Modded with lots of graphical mods typically
FO4 modded, FO76, RDR2, Neverwinter, POE, WOT, all as high settings as possible (I'm a visual whore)

Would like to play Baldurs gate 3, Assassins Creed Valhalla, and like games in highest settings possible.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Laptop is used for work during the day (Quickbooks mostly)while listening to spotify and facebooking.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1-2TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-IV-Edge-Pro-I15X-300 upgraded with 32GB RAM and 2x1TB SSD

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? n/a

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. open to brands, not fond of HP and Dell as they tend to have loads of bloat.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm perfectly open to other suggestions as well. I currently game on my daughters 2017/18 Acer Predator Helios 300 with a RTX 1060.

Anything with 10key is a plus, but not required.

I have been having a really hard time deciding if I need a 3070 or if I just really want a 3070. With the current cyberpowerpc build I have maxed my budget according to my wife. I know she would be a lot happier if I saved a couple hundred bucks (or more). With the games I play, is a 3060 enough at 1080 (I'm perfectly happy with HD, but QHD for under 2k is a nice bonus) and to play most new games at higher settings for the next few years? Or do I NEED a 3070 for the extra bit of power for the next few years?

Thank you for your time.

Have a look at https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...RTX-3070-Laptop-GPU_10478_10476.247598.0.html to get a starting point. Unfortunately, the performance a 3070 is kind of hard to judge as shown in the site because there's a wide girth of configurations and setups.

In the case of the 3070, I'm willing to wager that putting it in smaller, lighter laptops doesn't allow it to shine as much as it can in larger laptops were they can afford more cooling. So as a result, the 3070 doesn't perform that much better than the 3060. While I wouldn't put the laptop you were looking at in the "thin" category, I don't feel it has enough volume for sufficient cooling to let the 3070 really bare its fangs.

So I'd say stick with the 3060.

Reactions: valreesio

valreesio

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I was just looking at something similar that compares different wattages of cards with different TDP's.

I also just noticed This Gigabyte Laptop just came back into stock with the 80W 3080. It performs the same as a 115W 3070 (CPPC verified TDP). UGH!!!

I hate my inability to make a decision.

valreesio

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I game in bed a lot while my wife reads her books, or in my recliner. A laptop is just a lot easier to take from room to room to be near my wife. We like to be near each other (most of the time)...lol.

valreesio

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I went ahead and just bought a 60 series. you were right the first time. Thank you.

I will be building a desktop later this year and hopefully the prices will settle down on new GPU's by then.