Having trouble deciding over FreeSync Monitors

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to buy a Freesync Monitor, but i am having last-minute issues in deciding over features.

I'm from Pakistan, so some brands like Acer, Nixeus, Phillips and even AOC don't have their full range of F.S monitors available here.

the main features i'm looking for are ...

• 1. 75hz refresh rate
    2. FHD resolution (1920x1080 )
    3. AMD Freesync
    4. IPS screen
    5. As cheap as possible

I was scouring around for cheap freesync and i found a nice price quote on the LG-24MP59HT-P and i was ready to buy it but backed out at the last minute...

this was because i read that there's also the issue of LFC or low framerate compensation. apparently the LG monitor i mentioned doesn't support LFC, since it's Freesync frequency range is 40-75 Hz

I am afraid if my build fails to hold up in certain games and the FPS falls BELOW the FreeSync range, i might suffer performance issues in games due to lack of LFC support

here's my provisional build ( i am yet to purchase it)

i5 6500 or 6600

8gb ram ddr4 2133mhz

1tb HDD

Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB

I'm sort of buying a used/ refurb prebuilt, without a GPU (i'll buy it later and fit it in), because of Budget issues. since building everything from scratch will cost a fortune in Pakistan. so i really am on a tight budget.

so, i'm mulling over what to do.

should i scour more for a monitor with LFC support ? is it worth it ? or should i go for the LG monitor ?

I plan to game on 1080p and at highest possible graphical settings in AAA games. I am willing to be happy at 40+ fps stable, provided that settings are turned to high.

kindly guide me on what would be the best approach to this. I'm building the system for longevity as i can't afford major yearly upgrades to hardware.

awaiting your kind input and help at this.

Solution
Also, while the PassMark shows the 1060 as faster, in actuality with games, they trade blows, with the 1060 ahead on some, and the 580 ahead on others. More or less their performance can be considered equivalent.

I don't think that LFC is going to be a serious consideration if your monitor is 1920x1080 and has a FreeSync range that goes all the way down to 40. I'm given to understand that it might be more of a consideration at higher resolutions, or if, say, the monitor's lower FreeSync limit is 50 or more.

I believe that the LG you linked to, combined with the RX580, would be well suited together. There might be occasional dip below 40fps, but I think such occurrences would be very rare.

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

ok.

i'm choosing the RX580 due to more VRAM and the fact that games further down the line will need more VRAM. there's no brand loyalty or favoritism. I am choosing an Intel CPU because after reading around, they all say that i5 is very good for gaming, even in CPU intensive environments. i can't afford the i7 yet but will look to upgrade after 2 years when i5 might bottleneck games later on.

i'm in Karachi, Pakistan so i have to manage budget and tech specs very very carefully here, as everything costs alot due to poor $ to PKR conversion. believe me, guys in Northern Americas and EU have it very easy when it comes to buying a rig, even India has Amazon and PcPartPicker, but as a gamer (and computer engineer) from Pakistan, i have to make do WITHOUT all these facilities. I hope you understand how hard it is to put into perspective the task of building/purchasing a new PC here.

can you let me know how do i get the frequency range of the LG 24MP59HT-P, because that's the only way i can know if it supports LFC or not.

if not, i must resume my search again *sigh*

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also, while the PassMark shows the 1060 as faster, in actuality with games, they trade blows, with the 1060 ahead on some, and the 580 ahead on others. More or less their performance can be considered equivalent.

I don't think that LFC is going to be a serious consideration if your monitor is 1920x1080 and has a FreeSync range that goes all the way down to 40. I'm given to understand that it might be more of a consideration at higher resolutions, or if, say, the monitor's lower FreeSync limit is 50 or more.

I believe that the LG you linked to, combined with the RX580, would be well suited together. There might be occasional dip below 40fps, but I think such occurrences would be very rare.

Solution