Having trouble getting boot disk to work

I have boot disk and have checked the bios but
am not sure if I am doing the right thing.
I would appreciate a bit of help.
It is a new system, with an Asus z7n8x-x MB, Antec 350 power pac
Maxtor 60 gig SATA HD, floppy and cdrw-DVD player. Added SATA card and
have all connected. How do I get the system to recognize the boot disk
or am I doing something wrong?
I am obviously new at this. Any step by step help would be greatly
appreciated.
joevan

On 23 Jul 2004 06:47:12 -0700, "ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk>
wrote:

>get the SATA controller floppy sorted and when XP's installing, press
>F6 for additional storage drivers and feed it the disk.
>on the asus driver disk, i think there's an app that creates the floppy
>for you if you dig around.
>
>ric
I can't get the computer to recognize the floppy or whatever. It keeps
telling me to insert the system boot disk.
joevan

joevan wrote:

> I have boot disk and have checked the bios but
> am not sure if I am doing the right thing.
> I would appreciate a bit of help.
> It is a new system, with an Asus z7n8x-x MB, Antec 350 power pac
> Maxtor 60 gig SATA HD, floppy and cdrw-DVD player. Added SATA card and
> have all connected. How do I get the system to recognize the boot disk
> or am I doing something wrong?
> I am obviously new at this. Any step by step help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> joevan

Somewhere in the BIOS is a place where you can set the boot sequence.
More likely than not, it's probably set to boot from the CD first,
then the first hard drive, etc. You'll have to change the first boot
device to "Floppy".

HTH,

Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:13 GMT, LegMan <legman_@999hotmail.com>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>>
>> I have boot disk and have checked the bios but
>> am not sure if I am doing the right thing.
>> I would appreciate a bit of help.
>> It is a new system, with an Asus z7n8x-x MB, Antec 350 power pac
>> Maxtor 60 gig SATA HD, floppy and cdrw-DVD player. Added SATA card and
>> have all connected. How do I get the system to recognize the boot disk
>> or am I doing something wrong?
>> I am obviously new at this. Any step by step help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>> joevan
>

>Somewhere in the BIOS is a place where you can set the boot sequence.
>More likely than not, it's probably set to boot from the CD first,
>then the first hard drive, etc. You'll have to change the first boot
>device to "Floppy".
>
>HTH,
>
>Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)
I tried with the floppy as 1st boot and then with the CD as first boot
and it keeps asking for a boot disk, as though it can't see the
floppy, but yet it is there in the first information when starting.
joevan

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:58:40 GMT, joevan
<joevvan@joevanudity.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:13 GMT, LegMan <legman_@999hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>>
>>> I have boot disk and have checked the bios but
>>> am not sure if I am doing the right thing.
>>> I would appreciate a bit of help.
>>> It is a new system, with an Asus z7n8x-x MB, Antec 350 power pac
>>> Maxtor 60 gig SATA HD, floppy and cdrw-DVD player. Added SATA card and
>>> have all connected. How do I get the system to recognize the boot disk
>>> or am I doing something wrong?
>>> I am obviously new at this. Any step by step help would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>> joevan
>>

>>Somewhere in the BIOS is a place where you can set the boot sequence.
>>More likely than not, it's probably set to boot from the CD first,
>>then the first hard drive, etc. You'll have to change the first boot
>>device to "Floppy".
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)
>I tried with the floppy as 1st boot and then with the CD as first boot
>and it keeps asking for a boot disk, as though it can't see the
>floppy, but yet it is there in the first information when starting.
>joevan

Might be a silly question but is the floppy bootable?
When you go though the POST sequence and it looks for bootable
devices, do you see the floppy access light, which had remained
off, turn on for a moment while it checks floppy boot sector?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:33:59 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:58:40 GMT, joevan
><joevvan@joevanudity.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:13 GMT, LegMan <legman_@999hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Somewhere in the BIOS is a place where you can set the boot sequence.
>>>More likely than not, it's probably set to boot from the CD first,
>>>then the first hard drive, etc. You'll have to change the first boot
>>>device to "Floppy".
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)
>>I tried with the floppy as 1st boot and then with the CD as first boot
>>and it keeps asking for a boot disk, as though it can't see the
>>floppy, but yet it is there in the first information when starting.
>>joevan
>
>Might be a silly question but is the floppy bootable?
>When you go though the POST sequence and it looks for bootable
>devices, do you see the floppy access light, which had remained
>off, turn on for a moment while it checks floppy boot sector?
This is what I posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Here is an update as best as I can remember it all.
I did find another IDE cable and installed it, that helped a lot. I
guess the one they sent was defective
I finally got Madboot and it helped. At one point the cd rom was found
and windows was checking out the machine and then stalled. I got it
back later and it was going to load windows but it said it could not
find a drive with enough room. I have a sata 60 gig drive which shows
up using madboot. Windows can't find it for some reason.
I had to install a sata card and use a power adapter instead of
powering it the usual way.
That seems to be the only problem now is having windows find the
drive.
joevan

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:20:16 GMT, joevan <joevvan@joevanudity.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:33:59 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:58:40 GMT, joevan
>><joevvan@joevanudity.net> wrote:

>>>I tried with the floppy as 1st boot and then with the CD as first boot
>>>and it keeps asking for a boot disk, as though it can't see the
>>>floppy, but yet it is there in the first information when starting.
>>>joevan
>>
>>Might be a silly question but is the floppy bootable?
>>When you go though the POST sequence and it looks for bootable
>>devices, do you see the floppy access light, which had remained
>>off, turn on for a moment while it checks floppy boot sector?
>This is what I posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>Here is an update as best as I can remember it all.
>I did find another IDE cable and installed it, that helped a lot. I
>guess the one they sent was defective
>I finally got Madboot and it helped. At one point the cd rom was found
>and windows was checking out the machine and then stalled. I got it
>back later and it was going to load windows but it said it could not
>find a drive with enough room. I have a sata 60 gig drive which shows
>up using madboot. Windows can't find it for some reason.
>I had to install a sata card and use a power adapter instead of
>powering it the usual way.
>That seems to be the only problem now is having windows find the
>drive.
>joevan
To make a long story as short as I can.
I disconnected the SATA and installed an old 4 gig IDE.
For some reason I though if I can get 98 or some other OS installed
then I can use it to get to xp. I was getting all sorts of cable
errors trying to load xp.
So I loaded 98, then a few programs.
Next I put the xp disk in and it opened and set up. I intervened to
format in NTFS but it was like a textbook install all in all.
I don't know why I could not install from the cd with xp direct but
the work around sure saved the day.
joevan