[SOLVED] Having trouble getting fast file transfer speeds, help please.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Hi,

I bought a cat 7 cable with the hope of getting faster file transfer when moving photo files to "Google Drive". The transfer doesn't seem any faster than when I was just using Wi-Fi. Is there anything I can do to make the transfer faster? Thanks.

Solution
Unless you have internet speed in excess of 1Gbps and LAN equipment capable of 2.5GbE or faster, cat7 has no benefit over cat5e. Failing that, as Sup already mentioned, your upload speed is only as fast as the weakest link. If your internet has 20Mbps upload (typical for high speed cable plans), then no amount of router and wiring upgrades will get you more than that.

InvalidError

Titan
Unless you have internet speed in excess of 1Gbps and LAN equipment capable of 2.5GbE or faster, cat7 has no benefit over cat5e. Failing that, as Sup already mentioned, your upload speed is only as fast as the weakest link. If your internet has 20Mbps upload (typical for high speed cable plans), then no amount of router and wiring upgrades will get you more than that.

Solution

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I paid $25 for it a Micro Center. Thanks everyone for advice. I guess I'll take it back. Sad that I cant' get faster transfer speeds. I'm transferring raw photo files and it takes forever. Thanks again.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on how fast your actual internet speeds are and how crowded the WiFi space is in your neighborhood. If your achievable wireless speed is faster than your internet speed, then wired vs wireless should make little difference. If you have a crowded WiFi neighborhood, then wired should be both faster and more reliable, which is why wired connection is practically always preferred for online gaming.

berenod

Honorable
May 6, 2014
http://www.speedtest.net/

There are lots of those tests like the above out there, and as they sit on the internet side you will see exactly which "internet" speed is supplied to you by your internet provider.

By the way, my result:

Crappy ping though, weekend crowd all online I guess...