Question Having trouble getting rid of linux on a dual boot. (Not all options showing up)

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Hello. So I hope I am putting this in the right forum area.

I am getting my computer ready to go to windows 11, but this is a windows 10 problem. I'm doing dual boot and I want to get rid of the linux partition so I have been reading up on this. I would like to have it boot automatically to windows rather than linux and I need to do this before I delete the linux partition just so I don't run into any booting problems. I am trying this: https://www.intowindows.com/4-ways-to-change-the-boot-order-in-windows-10/ - So one of my concerns about my overall system (before even installing or changing anything) is that I'm trying to boot into areas like "advanced startup options" to change the boot order and not all of the options are there, it only has "shut down".

In this part of the tutorial I have nothing in the "boot" tab at all: "Change the boot order in Windows 10 via System Configuration
Step 1: Type msconfig in the Start/taskbar search field and then press the Enter key to open the System Configuration dialog."

This is particularly bad because I'm afraid when installing windows 11 and the drivers I may still not get all of the options so it may cause a problem down the line.

I think my boot file got messed up or something when I installed linux. Should I just go and delete the linux partition or what? How can I change the boot order after doing that?

Thanks for any help.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
Currently, when you boot up, do you see a GRUB menu from Linux, or something from Windows?

Are you wanting to keep the Linux OS?
Could I maybe do a clean install of windows 10 to get rid of the boot issues, and then use a macrium reflect image to get my data stuff onto the drive and then move onto installing windows 11? - That kind of makes me nervous about getting the data back on, however.

USAFRet

Titan
Could I maybe do a clean install of windows 10 to get rid of the boot issues, and then use a macrium reflect image to get my data stuff onto the drive and then move onto installing windows 11? - That kind of makes me nervous about getting the data back on, however.
No, not even a little bit.
You can't recover parts of an Image to a whole new OS.. Or at all.

For any major hardware or software change, your data needs to be backed up elsewhere and offline.

And your listed steps would not work anyway.

A fresh install of Win 10....might as well just do a fresh install of Win 11.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
No, not even a little bit.
You can't recover parts of an Image to a whole new OS.. Or at all.

For any major hardware or software change, your data needs to be backed up elsewhere and offline.

And your listed steps would not work anyway.

A fresh install of Win 10....might as well just do a fresh install of Win 11.
Ok, well back to square one I guess. How can I get the bootup fixed so that windows is first and then I think I can delete the linux partitions after that. - I do have macrium reflect images on a secondary hard drive. I'm surprised that I can't install windows 10 and then use a backup to get it back to where I need it.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, well back to square one I guess. How can I get the bootup fixed so that windows is first and then I think I can delete the linux partitions after that. - I do have macrium reflect images on a secondary hard drive. I'm surprised that I can't install windows 10 and then use a backup to get it back to where I need it.
Your Macrium Image is a full representation of the existing system. As mine are.
You can't recover 'parts of it'.

Well, you sort of can, but not the way you're thinking.

But applying whatever Image you have saved will bring the system back to what it was when you made that Image.
Wiping out whatever fresh Win 10 install you just did.

I am unsure of how to completely remove all traces of Linux, incl the GRUB, without a fresh Windows install.

To simplify the removal of Linux Grub boot settings, and renewing the Windows BCD Boot configuration file, I’d suggest using the EasyBCD application.

Next from Windows 10, format the Linux partition, and check again with EasyBCD for possibly remaining Linux boot configuration data to be removed.

You should be set to either upgrade Windows 10 to 11, or move to Windows 11, doing a secondary clean installation of Windows 11. If you’re not presently having issues with Windows 10, upgrading it to Windows 11 should get it done. A clean Windows 11 install should not be necessary, unless you want to catch up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah, getting rid of grub is like uninstalling Oracle it can’t really be done. Do yourself a favor and format it and install windows 11.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
To simplify the removal of Linux Grub boot settings, and renewing the Windows BCD Boot configuration file, I’d suggest using the EasyBCD application.

Next from Windows 10, format the Linux partition, and check again with EasyBCD for possibly remaining Linux boot configuration data to be removed.

You should be set to either upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11, or do a secondary clean installation of Windows 11. If you’re not presently having issues with Windows 10, upgrading it to Windows 11 should get it done. A clean Windows 11 install should not be necessary, unless you want to catch up.

I tried that earlier and got this: View: https://imgur.com/SmlC4pG
and nothing loads for it :( I must have really done something wrong. lol :(

Ok well I must have majorly screwed up the installation of windows 10 so yeah, what I'm hearing is clean reinstall. - But I AM on the windows 10 computer right now
EasyBCD didn't find the BCD file (boot file) because the Linux GRUB may have replaced it... just use the application to remove whatever boots your Windows, and renew the BCD file. Just don't reboot the system before the new BCD file is confirmed by the application as an Entry# in "View Settings" and "Edit Boot Menu"...

Last edited:
Did I understand correctly, and you already tried rebooting the computer?... If so, run the Windows installation media to Repair or renew the Windows Boot BCD file, Running the Startup Repair.

Startup repair tool
  1. Start the system to the installation media for the installed version of Windows. ...
  2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next > Repair your computer.
  3. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
  4. On the Advanced options screen, select Startup Repair.

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
I'm trying to understand how to use easybcd because most of the options like "view settings" "edit boot menu" are greyed out (i mean after being clicked on). under backup/repair I think I can reset the configuration so try that? thanks

I'm trying to understand how to use easybcd because most of the options like "view settings" "edit boot menu" are greyed out (i mean after being clicked on). under backup/repair I think I can reset the configuration so try that? thanks

EasyBCD quick guide

View Settings” Displays your boot settings; First it shows the Default OS, and follows with Entry#1 for the Default OS, and next it shows Entry#2, and continues if more OSes are installed. This section is not available for Edition.

Edit Boot Menu” Displays the installed OS boot Entries, and allows you to move them up or down to set the default boot OS or to delete an OS boot entry, and Save your selected default OS setting.

Ad New Entry” Allows you to select the Type of OS to be added to the Boot Menu, name or rename it and to select the partition drive where it is installed. After doing this, click on the + icon, and it will be written to the BCD boot menu.

Advanced Settings” Allows you to verify and save your settings, done in “Ad New Entry”, or make the necessary corrections, and Save the settings.

BCD Backup / Repair” Allows you to; Restore a backed up a BCD bootloader configuration file. This option can re-create a new BCD Bootloader File, that’s been deleted or corrupted as in your case, so THIS IS what you should do to Re-create the BCD Bootloader. Before you can perform this action, you need to Delete all OS entries from “Edit Boot Menu”… next go to BCD Backup/Repair, select Re-create Repair/Boot Files, and click Perform Action… Next, check in View Settings and other settings to verify that the drive letter/s correspond with the installed OS/OSes before you attempt to restart the computer.

Last edited: