[SOLVED] Having trouble going from wireless to wired.....

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I bought a Cat 7 cable after reading that it would give me faster transfer when moving photo files to Google Drive. I use a wireless connection for internet and when I plugged in the 7 cable going from my desktop computer to my modem it disconnected my internet. How do I set this wired connection up? Thanks, any advice much appreciated.

Solution

With normal equipment, not true.

With regular gigabit stuff like you almost certainly have, Cat5e is all that is needed.
Cat7 is, in theory, capable of 10gigabit speed, if and only if you also have 10gigabit hardware.
Which you don't.

And that only counts on your internal LAN. Not talking to the outside world through your ISP.

Talking to Google and anywhere else outside your house, your ISP speed is the limiting factor.
What speed do you pay your ISP for?

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I'm sorry but I don't understand. It seems I'm hooked up to Wi-fi and ethernet. I'm dropping photo files into Google Drive and it seems just as slow as Wi-fi only. Help please. I don't understand networking that well. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

With normal equipment, not true.

With regular gigabit stuff like you almost certainly have, Cat5e is all that is needed.
Cat7 is, in theory, capable of 10gigabit speed, if and only if you also have 10gigabit hardware.
Which you don't.

And that only counts on your internal LAN. Not talking to the outside world through your ISP.

Talking to Google and anywhere else outside your house, your ISP speed is the limiting factor.
What speed do you pay your ISP for?

Solution