Question Having trouble identifying noise coming from Motherboard

Pcwontwork97

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Hi everyone, I've been here once before.

But anyways I need a little help. My custom built PC of 7 years started making this loud squeling sound that seems to happen more often when playing power intensive applications like video games.

I can't identify what's causing the noise but I've ruled out fans. I've stopped every single fan in the computer yet the noise still persists especially when using an intensive application like a video game.

The noise sounds like it's coming from the upper left hand area of the motherboard, although I suspect it may be the CPU cooler.

I have a video uploaded of the sound here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azNJ9AnmkJQ&feature=youtu.be

It's 2 things, Fan or AIO pump.
Since AIO pumps even when faulty don't usually make that noise, it should be a fan. Since you said you stopped every fan it has to be PSU Fan
You just have to open up the case and put your head in there and listen to where the noise is coming from

Pcwontwork97

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
It's 2 things, Fan or AIO pump.
Since AIO pumps even when faulty don't usually make that noise, it should be a fan. Since you said you stopped every fan it has to be PSU Fan
You just have to open up the case and put your head in there and listen to where the noise is coming from

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It can't be the power supply. When I touch the power supply, there's no vibrations, but when I touch anything in the top left corner I feel vibrations from the noise. My motherboard is the ASUS Sabertooth X79, it comes with this thermal armor cooling I attached in that area. It has a fan, but when I stop the fan I still get the noise. Could it be the casing for the Thermal armor? Right now I think it's the liquid cooling pump from the corsair H100. When I touch the tubes I feel the vibration strongly there too.

While gaming you will get higher power usage out of the graphics card and you will also get higher cpu stress.

The graphics card will work harder causing the psu to need to deliver more power.
The gpu fans will spin up and the psu fan will also spin up.
Either is a likely source of noise.
I suspect you have adequately discounted either of those sources.

If the sounds comes from the cpu pump assembly, it might mean that there is an impending failure of the pump or possibly a loss of coolant.
Don't know what you can do about that except replace the cooler.

What is your case, cpu, cooler, etc...?
Perhaps an air cooler would do the job for you.