Question Having trouble installing windows on a 2018 HP all in one PC.

ki_1__

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
Hey guys,

I was trying to fix my friend's all-in-one PC (HP hp 24-10139a) yesterday and got into a bit of trouble, mainly I can not install windows 10 on it.

Currently, there is no OS installed on the PC.

There are multiple layers of trouble with this PC so I will try my best to explain the situation so that you guys can have a better idea of my current dilemma.

The goal was to install windows 10 from a bootable USB stick which I have used multiple times, but I could not find the option from BIOS which would let me choose USB as the preferred botting option.

So after I did my research I learned that I had to change the booting option to a legacy from UEFI, which I did, and hence I was able to start Windows set up.

But unlike other PC I have this particular PC did not display any of its hard drives when I need to select a partition for windows 10 installation, which is also RAID ( I do not know what RAID hard drive is), and I learned that I have to manually install drivers so that Windows set up can recognize it.

Done, and the list of partitions shows up and I thought my nightmares would be ending soon, but now it is saying that I can not install windows 10 since the RAID hard drive is in GPT, not MBR.

I did more research and tried CMD commands in the recovery section of windows set up to see if I could convert the GPT to MBR but on CMD it can not find the raid hard drives and I believe this might be due to a lack of drivers.

So I have lost the will to do more research and now seeking help from those who are able.

So there are a few solutions I can currently think of

1. If I can find how to start windows set up on UEFI with my USB stick that will make the GPT - MBR problem go away.
  2. Find a way to convert the current GPT partition to MBR without OS or drivers?
  3. Turn off RAID? if it is even possible? and just have a normal hard drive.

Thanks, guys.

Hey guys,

I was trying to fix my friend's all-in-one PC (HP hp 24-10139a) yesterday and got into a bit of trouble, mainly I can not install windows 10 on it.

There are multiple layers of trouble with this PC so I will try my best to explain the situation so that you guys can have a better idea of my current dilemma.

The goal was to install windows 10 from a bootable USB stick which I have used multiple times, but I could not find the option from BIOS which would let me choose USB as the preferred botting option.

So after I did my research I learned that I had to change the booting option to a legacy from UEFI, which I did, and hence I was able to start Windows set up.

But unlike other PC I have this particular PC did not display any of its hard drives when I need to select a partition for windows 10 installation, which is also RAID ( I do not know what RAID hard drive is), and I learned that I have to manually install drivers so that Windows set up can recognize it.

Done, and the list of partitions shows up and I thought my nightmares would be ending soon, but now it is saying that I can not install windows 10 since the RAID hard drive is in GPT, not MBR.

I did more research and tried CMD commands in the recovery section of windows set up to see if I could convert the GPT to MBR but on CMD it can not find the raid hard drives and I believe this might be due to a lack of drivers.

So I have lost the will to do more research and now seeking help from those who are able.

1. If I can find how to start windows set up on UEFI with my USB stick that will make the GPT - MBR problem go away.
  2. Find a way to convert the current GPT partition to MBR without OS or drivers?

Thanks, guys.
Well, for starters, it sounds like you only have 1 hard drive in the unit; is that correct? In that case RAID does not apply since that's a redundant system which requires 2 or more hard drives. If you have more than 1 hard drive and don't want a RAID system, you could disconnect the extra drives so that there's only 1. Also it helps to prepare the drives. Windows prefers that all of the space on the drive be unallocated, which means deleting any pre-existing partitions. You can use a partitioning tool like Gparted on a bootable usb to check the drive and remove any old partitions. You can also verify that the drive does have a GPT identifier, which is what Windows 10 really wants. Then you should be able to install windows and if you have leftover drives you can format them for data storage.

Well, for starters, it sounds like you only have 1 hard drive in the unit; is that correct? In that case RAID does not apply since that's a redundant system which requires 2 or more hard drives. If you have more than 1 hard drive and don't want a RAID system, you could disconnect the extra drives so that there's only 1.
The driver is called raid, even if you only have one drive you still need to install it for windows to see any drive on the controller.
You have to make a new usb that can boot into uefi so that it can install on gpt, rufus has specific settings for that.

Hey guys,

Thanks, guys.
Wag.....what happens if you change the bios sata mode to ahci?