[SOLVED] Having trouble overclocking to 5GHz on i5 8600k

yngse

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
Hello,

I'm trying to overclock my i5 8600k to 5Ghz. My motherboard I use is a Gigabyte Z370 HD3-CF.
Currently I'm at stock settings. But when I'm in BIOS, I can't really adjust the core clock or voltage settings manually. It seems everything is locked with no way to set to manual adjustment. Acutally I can set the values manually, I just have to type them lol. However, it does have a "CPU Upgrade" preset which I assume does the overclocking for me. When I set CPU Upgrade to i7-8600k @ 5GHz, I usually can't boot into any operating system I have installed (Fedora Workstation 34 or Win 10). I don't really know why this is and I'm really disappointed I can't overclock properly.

I'll probably post some pictures of my bios for reference.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. (y)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

I'm trying to overclock my i5 8600k to 5Ghz. My motherboard I use is a Gigabyte Z370 HD3-CF.
Currently I'm at stock settings. But when I'm in BIOS, I can't really adjust the core clock or voltage settings manually. It seems everything is locked with no way to set to manual adjustment. Acutally I can set the values manually, I just have to type them lol. However, it does have a "CPU Upgrade" preset which I assume does the overclocking for me. When I set CPU Upgrade to i7-8600k @ 5GHz, I usually can't boot into any operating system I have installed (Fedora Workstation 34 or Win 10). I don't really know why this is and I'm really disappointed I can't overclock properly.

I'll probably post some pictures of my...
Hello,

I'll probably post some pictures of my bios for reference.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. (y)
You might be asking too much from your particular CPU. in no way that it's guaranteed to OC by 700MHz otherwise Intel would sell it as 5GHz processor, not 4.3GHz (turbo) That's something colloquially know as "Binning" and "Silicone lottery".

Solution