Having trouble with admin control.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So a friend of mine recently contacted me with a question about a laptop he had. He apparently got it from work, who was getting rid of it. He got it home and found he can't mess around with anything because there are admin controls set on it from when it was being used at work and he's wondering if there is a work around for this. He's a little iffy in dropping $100+ on getting a new copy of windows, especially if it's not ten and it costs more than ten because it's legacy.

Any work arounds where he can deal with the admin controls in someway?

If he did drop $100 on ten, will he even be able to install etc. without any admin controls? (Still wondering if that would leave him with compatibility issues in the end.)

Thanks.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Sorry. Didn't mean anything shady at all. I'm guessing he's even having trouble adding his home network etc. Without admin access. I'll ask if he can simply get an admin password or if they can add him remotely. That's a place to start. I'll also ask if they'll wipe it for him. Thanks for a few ideas.

its just the forum rules since people ask saying they "forgot" their password all the time

since toms have no way of knowing who is genuine and who isnt its safer for them just not to allow any thing to do with bypassing security

but yes the place that gave it to him should be able to sort it out for him