Question Having trouble with my newly built PC

Apr 23, 2020
Hi guys, recently built a new computer and it was working fine up until tonight. Was trying to install some mods for Stalker SoC, then opened up the game, and got not image. So quit out to desktop and tried restarting, then the PC turned on, but no post or display on the monitor. I tried all the basic troubleshooting stuff to get the image back: reseating RAM, cleared RAM via jumper, q-LED said there was a problem with the GPU, so I reseated that, still no image, swapped out for my old GPU. THEN I got to BIOS.

However, now I'm faced with another problem... BIOS is saying I have no boot drives. I have 4 different drives plugged into the mobo, 3 SATA (1 of which has the drive with my OS) and 1 m.2, yet there are NO drives appearing in boot. It's late here so I'm gonna try reconnect everything tomorrow, but wanted your thoughts as to what to do because I'm honestly so confused. I'm a newbie to PC building but everything was smooth sailing up until tonight. I have a feeling it was something to do with those mods...

Please let me know what you think.

Here's my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x with wraith cooler
GPU (before swapped out): 1080ti
PSU: EVGA 750W Gold
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX x570-f
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb)

For context, the GPU is secondhand so I believe the problem lies with it, but I could be wrong.

Any and all input is appreciated, thank you!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a feeling it was something to do with those mods...
I was thinking the exact same.
Where did they come from? Is it a trusted source? I have a feeling it wasn't, as it be one heck of a coincidence for the PC to crap out on you shortly after downloading the mods and them not having anything to do about it...

Prepare for the possibility that you may have installed a virus and will have to purge everything... if the virus hasn't already done it.

Is CSM, or Compatibility Support Module, enabled?
Tried disconnecting/unplugging all other drives, except the C drive, and then booting?

Reactions: mctrader07
Apr 23, 2020
Is CSM, or Compatibility Support Module, enabled?
Tried disconnecting/unplugging all other drives, except the C drive, and then booting?

So I enabled CSM in BIOS and got to boot my C drive. Ran my antivirus and fortunately nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But now my Nvidia card won't send any output to the monitor UNLESS THERE ARE NO NVIDIA DRIVERS INSTALLED. So strange, whenever I try to install the latest driver, it stops giving me an output mid-install and then I have to go back to my old GPU, uninstall the Nvidia drivers, and then I get an output with my new GPU, albeit I won't be able to do anything graphics related. I'm sending it to a PC Repair shop tomorrow morning, unless you can think of why this is happening? My friend theories that it's:

a) A faulty graphics card (Though why would it have been fine up until last night and without any drivers)
b) Something to do with a new CPU being installed but using Windows from my old C drive instead of a fresh install

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You did scan your other drives too, right?
Used Display Driver Uninstaller to clean out the old driver?
Did you try an older driver?

My friend theories that it's:

a) A faulty graphics card (Though why would it have been fine up until last night and without any drivers)
b) Something to do with a new CPU being installed but using Windows from my old C drive instead of a fresh install
A)I don't think that's the case. It would black screen and artifact even without drivers if that were the case. Plus, everything was fine, up until...
By the way, is the site you downloaded the mods from actually legit? Perhaps it would be better to ask if the download link itself is safe?

B)2 things about that one.
-Your cpu doesn't have integrated graphics.
-You really should reinstall Windows when changing motherboards/carrying over the old C drive.

Apr 23, 2020
You did scan your other drives too, right?
Used Display Driver Uninstaller to clean out the old driver?
Did you try an older driver?
Yeah scanned the other drives and they were fine. Used DDU to fully uninstall the old drivers and then installed an older one, but still get a black screen mid-installation

A)I don't think that's the case. It would black screen and artifact even without drivers if that were the case. Plus, everything was fine, up until...
By the way, is the site you downloaded the mods from actually legit? Perhaps it would be better to ask if the download link itself is safe?
Even if it is a bad GPU, I've managed to sort out an extended warranty with EVGA despite it being secondhand which is nice. And sorry I meant to reply to that in my last message, but yes the mods were off a legit website as was the download link so I'm assuming it wasn't a virus. I feel like it's something to do with a PhysX install that I had to make when opening Stalker, but that's just a guess considering everything was fine prior and other game were fine too

B)2 things about that one.
-Your cpu doesn't have integrated graphics.
-You really should reinstall Windows when changing motherboards/carrying over the old C drive.
Yeah I feel a bit silly now that I didn't do a fresh Windows install, I just assumed that it would be working fine. At least I know for next time I spose, I'm hoping the shop are able to figure out what's wrong

TRENDING THREADS