[SOLVED] Having trouble with my pc how do i know if its my psu or motherboard?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I recently went to install a argb hub and plugged the wrong power interface into it instead of sata. It burnt out the hub but the pc kept working. A day later pc shuts off by itself. When I try to turn back on everything lights up fans run but nothing on screen. Eventually I get a screen that says it's going to start in safe mode or press f1 for setup but freezes at that screen. Is this definitely the psu or could it be the motherboard? How can I test to find out?

Solution
I recently went to install a argb hub and plugged the wrong power interface into it instead of sata. It burnt out the hub but the pc kept working. A day later pc shuts off by itself. When I try to turn back on everything lights up fans run but nothing on screen. Eventually I get a screen that says it's going to start in safe mode or press f1 for setup but freezes at that screen. Is this definitely the psu or could it be the motherboard? How can I test to find out?
To definitely know you will need to try another PSU, but more likely the damage was done to the motherboard. If you have a multi-meter, check the voltages on the various PSU outputs. And always attach devices when powered off and the PSU is shut off, and of course...

RealBeast

Titan
To definitely know you will need to try another PSU, but more likely the damage was done to the motherboard. If you have a multi-meter, check the voltages on the various PSU outputs. And always attach devices when powered off and the PSU is shut off, and of course triple check everything. Although I think that you know that now.

Solution

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Haven't tried to remove drive yet its a Samsung m.2 ssd 970 Evo plus 1tb. So no way it's just the psu? It's gonna be horrible if it's the motherboard. It's a expensive motherboard and the install is gonna be a pain with the custom liquid cooling with hard tubing.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Haven't tried to remove drive yet its a Samsung m.2 ssd 970 Evo plus 1tb. So no way it's just the psu? It's gonna be horrible if it's the motherboard. It's a expensive motherboard and the install is gonna be a pain with the custom liquid cooling with hard tubing.
I'm not sure but the PSU seems fine, what is the model of that PSU? What is the model of your motherboard?

I might be the SSD, since the windows is effected. Remove the SSD and boot the system.
Can you get to the BIOS? Please let me know.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I'm not sure but the PSU seems fine, what is the model of that PSU? What is the model of your motherboard?

I might be the SSD, since the windows is effected. Remove the SSD and boot the system.
Can you get to the BIOS? Please let me know.
Can't get to bios. After trying to start it up 3 times with nothing on screen it finally shows a screen saying that the post failed during startup its now going to start in safe mode or press f1 to enter setup to reverse any recent changes made that could be the cause of this. It completely freezes right away at this screen. F1 does nothing and stays at that screen.

• Asus x299 mark 2 motherboard
  • Corsair RM850 PSU

I have a new psu coming on Tuesday but I'm thinking more and more its the motherboard.

What do you think?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Can't get to bios. After trying to start it up 3 times with nothing on screen it finally shows a screen saying that the post failed during startup its now going to start in safe mode or press f1 to enter setup to reverse any recent changes made that could be the cause of this. It completely freezes right away at this screen. F1 does nothing and stays at that screen.

• Asus x299 mark 2 motherboard
  • Corsair RM850 PSU
I have a new psu coming on Tuesday but I'm thinking more and more its the motherboard.

What do you think?
Its probably a motherboard problem as the POST is failing. Most likely the BIOS went dead

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Finally got to the bottom of my pc's issue. It turned out to shut off because it did not detect my cpu fan but I do not o t have a cpu fan I have a hard tube liquid cooling loop and it's been working fine for a really long time what would prompt it to shut off my pc ? I had to ignore this from the bios in order to get my pc to boot up to windows. I believe my liquid cooling pump is plugged in there and like I said its been working fine like this for a couple months and I can't think of anything that has changed on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.