Having trouble with pioneer 105sz. Please help.

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I bought a Pioneer 105sz 16x dvd drive for my computer, the specifications are as follows:

Athlon 1ghz
Abit kt7a mobo
Ati Radeon 64meg DDR
30 gig IBM ata 100 hard drive

My problem is this, when i installed as a secondary ide device it would not play a dvd film properly, just wasn't smooth. I tried 4 different programmes elsa, Ati, power DVD and win Dvd and it wouldn't work on any.

As a last resort i did exactly what it tells you not to do in my mobo manual, which is to connect it to the same cable as the hard drive (ata 66/100) cable.
It now plays Dvd's fine but i get crappy Dvd speeds of between 1 - 1.5 speed when ripping dvd's on smart ripper.
I am sure it does not read cd's at 40 x as it is supposed to also.
Does any one have any suggestions what i am doing wrong.

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well I have the same DVD you have.What i did is I just Removed my cd, and put the DVD in its place.I used the same jumper settings in the DVD as i had on my cd..I Dont mess with ripping..My systom is a bit faster than yours,Sept i have a voodoo5..Its old and slow i know as far as todays cards are,but with windvd it is bomb..I also have 2 other dvd readers...PC freindly and Interactual as standbys since dvd is demanding no matter what you have..If you want perfect dvd playback..Get one for your TV..Im thinking of getting one, but the sound systom on my PC is better than my home systom..By the way..It is 40x..i had a 32x cd .this is faster..If you want tech help?dont ask me.Most of these things have been answerd before.Just thumb back in the community...LOL

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
What Operating System?
(Win98 use PowerDVD, Win2K use the ATI player, WinMe I do not use)

!!!Your IDE Channel Is Only As Fast As The Slowest Device Connected!!!!!!

Since you slaved the ATA33 DVD off your ATA100 hard drive, your hard drive has been slowed greatly. (The DVD works ok but you jacked the hard drive)

The standard CD drive is not an ATA device, therefore when you slave the DVD of the CD, you slow down the DVD drive.

Use the DVD as the Master drive on the secondary IDE channel with no slave, you should get full operations at that time.

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I also have an LG 8x Cdr how am i going to run my dvd as a master on the second ide port with no slave. I must apologise as it was my fault for not giving you all the information, at the moment i am running windows ME and 2000 profesional duel booted

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Yeah, that is what happened to me, I ran out of IDE channels.

Really, the only solution I know of would be an ATA100 controller card (suggest Promise.....about $40). This way you could remove your hard drive from your mobos onboard IDE controller and that should allow you to run all your devices.

Alternately

If your CDwriter is ATA33 it should be able to share a channel with your other ATA33 device (the DVD drive).

This leaves your CD drive without a slot but really you do not need it.

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I did what you said, I disconnected my cd writer and had my Dvd running as the master on its own on the second IDE port.
Dma mode is enabled and it just does not play films very well.
I guess I will have to keep it connected to the same ribbon as my hard drive as it seem the only way to play a good quality film on my computer.

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Cheers for the advice but I have now sorted it, my hard drive has its own channel now. What i did was install windvd this made every thing work perfectly for some strange reason

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im sorry but that "your ide channel is only as fast as your slowest divice" is crap.
i got a ata100 60gxp and a ata33 16gp on my primary channel, and ata66 dvd and DMA burner on the secondary and ALL drives perform at expected levels. (proved by benchmarks too)

course i think its always a good idea to:
a. use ata66/100 80wire cables.
b. make the faster device the master.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im sorry but that "your ide channel is only as fast as your slowest divice" is crap.
i got a ata100 60gxp and a ata33 16gp on my primary channel, and ata66 dvd and DMA burner on the secondary and ALL drives perform at expected levels. (proved by benchmarks too)

course i think its always a good idea to:
a. use ata66/100 80wire cables.
b. make the faster device the master.

P.S. with my dvd and 12x burner it will quite happily do direct cd to burner transfer, n the fly, without any errors. WITH both drives on the same cable.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?