having troubles getting windows 10 being installed onto dell m5030, help please

Digixfr34k

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
I am Working on a Laptop for my Gf's mom, its a Dell Inspiron m5030, she doesn't play games, but she asked me if there was a way to upgrade her laptop to run a little faster, and play movies, as of now it struggles. SO i told her lets try maxing the ram out and put a SSD in it, the Ram went fine.

But when i upgraded to 10 on the old HDD (to register the motherboard), windows 10 stopped seeing the DVD drive in "my computer", but the Bios sees it and when i go into hardware in windows it sees it but it has a little circle next to it with a ?, and when i try to install windows 10 onto the SSD using a DVD, it wont see the SSD, but when i use a USB drive to install windows 10, it see's the SSD, but wont complete the installation.

I just don't know what to do at this point, i just cant get windows 10 onto this SSD drive, even tho its the SAME SSD i have in my system, and windows 10 seen it just fine which is a Samsung EVO 250gb

Solution
Check the BIOS setting for ATA Controller is set to AHCI mode and not IDE.

It's also doubtful that Dell put out updated drivers for Windows 10 for that laptop. Just install the Windows 8.1 SATA/AHCI drivers after Windows installs. You might need to install Windows 8.1 drivers (if Windows 10 updates aren't avail.) for other devices like WiFi and sound too if they're not working correctly after a fresh install of Windows 10.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Check the BIOS setting for ATA Controller is set to AHCI mode and not IDE.

It's also doubtful that Dell put out updated drivers for Windows 10 for that laptop. Just install the Windows 8.1 SATA/AHCI drivers after Windows installs. You might need to install Windows 8.1 drivers (if Windows 10 updates aren't avail.) for other devices like WiFi and sound too if they're not working correctly after a fresh install of Windows 10.

Solution