Question Having troubles with Intel 660p SSD

DireAct

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I recently installed an NVMe M.2 Intel 660p SSD into my AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X Motherboard and I seem to be getting BSOD After about a day of my computer being on. Wondering if this is a compatibility issue or maybe something else. I've used everything Intel has offer, the Toolbox to update drivers and such, every time I try to "clean Cache" from my SSD it'll BSOD right away.

You used a "toolbox" to update drivers? Don't ever do that. Don't ever use any "driver updater" type utilities either. Ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

If it is a prebuilt system, you go to the product page for that specific submodel of your prebuilt system based on your express service tag or other identifier. If it is a custom built system you go to the product page for your motherboard. Then, you find and download the latest drivers for all of the onboard hardware such as network adapters, audio chipset, any required USB drivers that are not part of the chipset AND the chipset drivers themselves UNLESS it is an AMD chipset or an Intel chipset that Intel offers the chipset drivers (.inf) for directly from their website. That USED to most of the Intel chipsets, but lately they've been leaving the availability of the chipset drivers for non-Intel branded motherboards up to the motherboard manufacturer to provide so in that case you would also get those from the motherboard or prebuilt system product page. For Intel chipsets that they offer drivers for, when the driver offered is newer than what is available on the product page, or for AMD chipset drivers, get those from AMD or Intel's websites.

All other drivers, with maybe a few exceptions in cases where the manufacturer of the onboard component, like some of the Realtek drivers (In the past, not anymore really) had to be gotten from them directly because the ones on the motherboard product page had issues. Generally though, if you get the drivers from the product page they will 99.999% of the time be the best drivers you can get for the onboard component. The same applies to non-motherboard related hardware drivers as well. Get the driver from the manufacturer's website, for things like specialty keyboards, mice, USB devices that are not plug and play, printers, etc.

Don't ever rely on some third party or "utility" for things like this. It's a mistake.

What is your exact motherboard model and please list ALL of your hardware specifications.

Last edited:

DireAct

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
You used a "toolbox" to update drivers? Don't ever do that. Don't ever use any "driver updater" type utilities either. Ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

If it is a prebuilt system, you go to the product page for that specific submodel of your prebuilt system based on your express service tag or other identifier. If it is a custom built system you go to the product page for your motherboard. Then, you find and download the latest drivers for all of the onboard hardware such as network adapters, audio chipset, any required USB drivers that are not part of the chipset AND the chipset drivers themselves UNLESS it is an AMD chipset or an Intel chipset that Intel offers the chipset drivers (.inf) for directly from their website. That USED to most of the Intel chipsets, but lately they've been leaving the availability of the chipset drivers for non-Intel branded motherboards up to the motherboard manufacturer to provide so in that case you would also get those from the motherboard or prebuilt system product page. For Intel chipsets that they offer drivers for, when the driver offered is newer than what is available on the product page, or for AMD chipset drivers, get those from AMD or Intel's websites.

All other drivers, with maybe a few exceptions in cases where the manufacturer of the onboard component, like some of the Realtek drivers (In the past, not anymore really) had to be gotten from them directly because the ones on the motherboard product page had issues. Generally though, if you get the drivers from the product page they will 99.999% of the time be the best drivers you can get for the onboard component. The same applies to non-motherboard related hardware drivers as well. Get the driver from the manufacturer's website, for things like specialty keyboards, mice, USB devices that are not plug and play, printers, etc.

Don't ever rely on some third party or "utility" for things like this. It's a mistake.

What is your exact motherboard model and please list ALL of your hardware specifications.

It's not a third party program, the program is developed by Intel specifically for updating/cleaning their products and it's straight from their website. It's called Intel SSD Toolbox and it has another one as well. Unfortunately I'm just not aware of any sort of compatibility that may be causing the BSOD occasionally or maybe faulty SSD.