HAWK 5770 Crossfire Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade from dual MSI HAWK 5770s set up in crossfire. I plan to move up to a 2GB card, but I'm stuck between SLI and crossfire. I run a lot of games, and I'm mostly looking to upgrade for the release of Skyrim. I'm not sure which would suit gaming better. Any advice?

Solution
Well IMO your best bet is to get a HD6950. This card will perform better than your crossfire HD5770's, you also have the potential to unlock the card to a HD6970 if you wish, and lastly the crossfire capabilites of that card are incredible! The scaling is imence and almost doubles performance.

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
^ Cheers for your detailed contrabution.

Personally I would never go for duel card solution at first, but It's very good to have the option to increase your graphics performance at a later date for less of a cost. Before I recomend a card properly I need to know your sysem specs ( including what resolution you are gaming at )

Cheers Adam

if i were you i will at least get something that can double my current performance. crossfire is one easy way to get more performance but it will not guarantee double the performance since it depends on the scaling not to mention the scaling also different from one game to another.

before giving any suggestion it is better to know what is your current system spec and if can your intended budget as well. we can recommend you any solution out there such as GTX580 in SLi but it will be useless recommendation if we can't know for sure if your rig can handle it without bottlenecking or you simply don't have such the budget :)

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

^+1

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I got it mixed it up with another thread :p Yeh I agree completly, single card solutions should always be used as a first option in my opinion, and it always leaves the room up to upgrade to xfire/SLI, at later date. Gandroid you need to remember that crossfire creates more heat, uses more power, and has some incompatibilty issues, so a single card solution at first always seem to be the better option in my opinion.

lol. i did not read the post carefully as well hence i assume he want to CF his current card or want to get something better than that :p

btw different people have different opinion. i know some people get into CF or SLI in one go and disregard buy one now, add another later since they have their own reason for that. but personally i preferred single, more powerful card solution since it was easier to deal with. having said that i want to try out the multi gpu setup as well in the future if i have the chance :)

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Right now I'm running an AMD Phenom II x4 deneb CPU and an ASrock 890FX mobo. I game on a 23.7 inch ASUS monitor, and usually run it in 1920x1080. I would definently like to move up to a single card that gives better performance than my 5770s. Like you guys were saying, I would like to upgrade to a single card that improves my performance with CF/SLI as a possible future upgrade. Also, I have power to spare with my current setup. My price range is pretty flexible. If I like a card enough, thats that.

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Well IMO your best bet is to get a HD6950. This card will perform better than your crossfire HD5770's, you also have the potential to unlock the card to a HD6970 if you wish, and lastly the crossfire capabilites of that card are incredible! The scaling is imence and almost doubles performance.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.