Hawking Technology HPS12U Technical Support Question (dial..

The following is the support cycle from Hawking Tech. We shall see how
well they support their product.

I sent the following at Saturday Jan 29, 2005 9:17 am Central Time via
http://www.hawkingtech.com/contactform.php?type=techsupport. I will
post their response when I get one.

----------------

Product: HPSU12

I have WinXP Home, an HP LaserJet 1200 and a Brother MFC 6800. I have
tried the following with both printers separately as well as together.

After reading the instructions I have done the following:

- Plugged network cable from router to HPS12U.
- Plugged printer via USB into port 2 of HPS12U.
- Plugged power into HPS12U.
- Waited for POST to take place. *
- Powered on my printer. **
- My network protocols are fine as evidenced by getting to your web
site.
- Start to install Admin Installation installing all povided components
- Step 8 of installation indicates the "Choose Print Server" dialog
will appear with items listed in the white box to the left of the
Refresh button. Mine does not.
- Step 9 instructs to click Next and a dialog box will prompt to name
my print server. Clicking next does not do anything. No dialog
appears.***
- The image on page 10 of the manual indicates I should have "chosen" a
device name. As there are none listed in the Choose Print Server
dialog, I cannot.

>From this point the instructions deviate from what I am able to do.

I have tried to plug my PC directly into the HPS12U via the network
cable to no avail.

I have searched your site for troubleshooting info. The Support area
for your print servers has a list of links with one sentence
instructions.****

I have reasonably exhausted my options. What's wrong with my HPS12U?
How can I get it to work?

Thank you,

-Ken

* Page 4 instructs:
Check the LED's marked as status on the side
of the Print Server. It should start to flash
while doing a routine diagnostic test and
printer check. If not, please contact your
local dealer for repair or replacement.

There are NO LEDs marked as status on the side of the print server.
The only LEDs are POWER, P1, U2, U3 and LAN.

I cannot complete this step.

** At this time the LED marked as U2 does NOT light up.

*** Per ** above, it appears my HPS12U is not recognizing that I have a
printer plugged in.

Monday, Jan 31 2005 11:17a received the following response from
Hawking:

----------------

Hi Ken,

If you cannot connect to the print server, make sure all firewalls are
off.
Then try to connect again using the print server utility.
If that works, then resume setting up the print server.

Tech Support - CCC
Hawking Technologies
techsupport@hawkingtech.com

----------------

Tuesday Feb 1, 2005 5:18p I replied as follows
----------------
No success.

What now?

-Ken

Wednesday, Feb 2, 2005 09:52a received the following response from
Hawking:
----------------

Our print servers do not support multifunction printers, so make sure
try to connect with the brother printer.

Make sure all your firewalls are off. (Norton, Zonealarm, Microsoft,
Tiny,
Mcaffee, etc)

Connect the print server directly to your computer while the firewalls
are
off, then try to run the admin program.

If that doesn't work, then most likely your item is defective.

Please return the item to the place you purchased it or RMA the device
to us
at www.hawkingtech.com => support => warranty.

Tech Support - CCC
Hawking Technologies
techsupport@hawkingtech.com

Fri, Feb 4, 2005 12:26p

The back of the box states the following:

The Hawking HPS12U 2USB + 1 Parallel port 10/100M Internet Print
Server is a powerful and convenient tool to connect your USB and
parallel printsrs to a 10/100M Network. Through its enhanced
functionality the HPS12U can support up to three printers at one time
(2 USB + 1 Parallel). The Hawking HPS12U combined with the Internet
Printing Protocol (IPP) lets you easily connect to any printer and
print documents by specifying the printer server's IP address...

It appears Hawking either did not know their unit would not work with
multifunction printers or they told their tech support staff incorrect
information.

Either way, while the <$100 price tag was attactive, it appears to be
too good of a deal. I am taking this back and will try a different
solution.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

-Ken