HBO Hackers Demand Ransom For 1.5TB Of Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished

The Game of Thrones show has deviated almost entirely from the books by now.

I meant don't read the ransom lol.

Was just using Harry Potter as an example of how knowing isn't the end of the world.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
i don't even watch that show so i don't really care. all i heard what its a show full of men's balls which didn't attract my attention any.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
This could be retaliation to the copyright tension HBO has been pushing in recent months against torrents. Now they are getting a fist in the behind. Hooray for karma.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
I remember the watch party for the final episode of M*A*S*H. Twas in a Pizza Hut that was *packed*...FAR more so than even for Monday Night Football. And this was the heyday of MNF.

For *massive* spoilers...the last episode of season 3 of Downton Abbey. Or, the last Henry Blake episode of M*A*S*H, where he goes home. The endings of these, if announced in advance, not only color those episodes, but the entire series. The impacts on ratings, and therefore ad revenue, are huge. And in GoT, the potential that ANY character might bite the bullet, is a huge factor.

The privacy breaches are equally disturbing. Major celebrities have enormous problems maintaining any kind of personal space. In addition, of course, they are known to be wealthy, and thus would have big targets on themselves anyway.

The privacy breaches for the actors isn't equally disturbing, it's more disturbing.

Losing a few million dollars for a movie studio is one thing, losing a life due to some one breaking in to your house from buying your address on ToR or having it released for free on the Internet is much worse.

Rebecca Schaeffer being a prime example of a stalker learning where you live.

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
"That didn't stop them from demanding a ransom, however, because they "want to be your partner in a tiny part of HBO's huge income.""
That kind of relationship, where one party takes from the other without giving anything in return, is generally known as "parasitic", not a "partnership".

number1guy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

It's all just violence, sex, and the occasional cheap "shocker" by killing off main characters. It's really no wonder why it's so popular in America.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Good for HBO and the others before them who have refused to pay. The hackers are doing this essentially as a job. When they keep not getting paid, they'll get a new one. But if they did get paid, the industry might as well stick out a help wanted sign advertising for hackers to blackmail them more.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014

Americans will watch anything as long as there is popcorn with extra butter involved and lots of beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.