HD 2900XT, rate how bad this card sucks! or not?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
it does show that in the descrete that Nvidia is more powerful, in the overall sales of graphics chipsetsets intel wins by just selling intergrated and AMD is loosing market share.

None of which supports your previous statement of rebuttal about OEMs involving numbers you pulled out of your A$$ like most of your other posts.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
the only other thing i aruge on here is how the 8600GT preforms, and i am an 8600GT owner so i think i have a better idea than you

Idea's seen through green-tinted glasses aren't "better". The card is just barely faster than a 7600GT. There really isn't a reason to go with anything other than an X1950Pro or 7900GS in this price range.

the only other thing i aruge on here is how the 8600GT preforms, and i am an 8600GT owner so i think i have a better idea than you

No, you don't. :roll:

One would expect you might or should, but your comments here show that your inability to understand fundamental conecpts hampers your ability to comment intelligently on even a product you own let alone those you don't.
Your statement about ownership would be like saying because Pari Hilton owns an Aston Martin or Ferrari she has any idea about it's specs, how it works, performance, or how it compares to other vehicles.

All you've done is proved that owning the card doesn't guarantee you know much about it or it's competitors.

WhateverPT

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
i am going to repeat it.. competition is good for the market, the customers and the quality. Just remember this.. so let's just pray for something good from AMD/ATI

i am going to repeat it.. competition is good for the market, the customers and the quality. Just remember this.. so let's just pray for something good from AMD/ATI

I agree, but I'd prefer to pray for Matrox or S3 to bring something new, because the current duopoly isn't much better, and when intel hits the market I'm worried about it's affect on standards, competition and profitability of some segments.

I just wish we saw a viable 3rd player on the horizon, but really even S3 and SIS have been pretty quet for companies that are supposed to release new cards in just a few short months. :?

I agree, but I'd prefer to pray for Matrox or S3 to bring something new, because the current duopoly isn't much better, and when intel hits the market I'm worried about it's affect on standards, competition and profitability of some segments.

I just wish we saw a viable 3rd player on the horizon, but really even S3 and SIS have been pretty quet for companies that are supposed to release new cards in just a few short months. :? I agree with the inception of Intel, that things will change, and Im not so sure for the best. Currently Intel is bashing AMD, which we all know is ATI. Intel has almost bottomless resources, and its R&D is second to none. If AMD/ATI survives, it will be the only competitor IMO against Intel. nVidia just doesnt have it. Ive read the (H)Op stories about this and agree. The board makers may not have time for nVidia as Intel ramps it up, and ATI has other resources, exsclusive to them. This wont help the gfx community IMO

Yeah the big problem for me is I see intel going after the fleshy profitable middle, and not caring about the absolute high end. I expect that the thing that will be hurt the most by intel's entry will be the AMD & nV high end which is financed by the profits of the middle. If intel takes a chunk of the middle without any interest in the e-p3ni$ high end, I think it will cripple the future of the high end and make it that the high end is just and extension of the middle instead of the true lead which is far beyond the other parts.

That's the way I see them influencing the market, and with their effect on things like Vista etc, I also think their influence on standards and feature support will also be negative where they will swing their weight so that everyone does things their way, not necessarily the best way.

And I'm otherwise indiferent to intel as a company, since I love their mobile and PDA chips, and their desktops are tops right now, but their influence on this market is troubling unless they can really just leapfrog everyone else significantly.

Has anyone seen the August 2007 issue of PC Gamer? On page 82 it has a very favorable review of the 2900XT. PC Gamer gave the 2900XT an over all score of 87 out of 100.

They said it was a good value card for the price because on average it was only 10 frames per second slower than the 8800 GTX (Yes the top of the line 768MB Verison, not the GTS) and it was about $150 cheaper. That kinda changed my perspective of the 2900XT because I had been bashing it too.

Considering that the drivers are not mature yet, I think people should not rush to judgement. The drivers for the 8800 had lots of issues a month after the 8800 came out. Here it is 1 month after the 2900XT has been released and I am sure ATI's 1 month old drivers have issues too just like Nvidia's 1 month old drivers had.

But technically the 2900XT hardware wise has great potenial. 512bit memory, 106GB of band width. Those specs are a lot better than the GTX's 384bit memory and 86 GB of bandwidth. I saw a post on the message boards a week ago that said that ATI recently released one driver for the 2900XT that increased one of it's benchmark scores by 40%. If they can continue those types of results in several different areas this could develop in to a much more competitive card.

I think the frustrating thing for most is the delay in the release of the card. However when two companies merge things are going to get delayed. I look for better things in the future.

The biggest thing that ATI has to worry about is the GeForce 9800 coming in November. Nvidia claims it will be at least as twice as fast as the 8800. That is going to be an amazingly powerful card. Rumor has it that the GTX will have a price point of about $600. The same price of the 8800GTX when it was relased last year.

Im wondering if the fact Intel is just coming into the market, not having alot of dev to start, will just keep the mids. AMD has all the ATI resources, and fusion isnt going to happen anytime soon. Larebee will also be aimed at mid at first, so would Intel have any compulsion to even do highend? This is a troubling issue