HD 3850 AGP & Bottlenecking!

AceMark

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I've been looking for a card for my old dell 8300 for a couple of weeks now and think I've definately decided on the HD 3850.

Is there a way to work out what spec of processor would overcome the bottlenecking problems of a specific graphics card?

p.s. Don't have money for a new rig, so looking to spend as little as possible, so no comments on upgrading to pcie please.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
you cant upgrade your cpu to overcome bottleneck. you might want to oc it to 3.2-3.4ghz but as long a it'ss.478 and single core and such old architecture you will face bottlenecking. the only thing you can do now is oc your cpu and add some ram and buy a new rig in the future if you dont have cash right now. anyway, 3850 is too expensive, you might buy 4650 agp. it will be a little slower but consumer less power.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

AceMark is right, there is no upgrade path for a S478 that would eliminate the bottleneck completely (or even by a lot). You'd need a dual-core proc to overcome most of the limits, but for your case a big OC (meaning big cooler) might be the only way.

If your PC was a socket 939, then there was some hope.

TRENDING THREADS