Hd 3870 crossfire not working

pwilltwiceborn

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hey all,
I've been looking for 2 days now on how to fix my porblem and I've tried soooo many things... Here we go:
SPECS
Dell XPS 730
Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
4GB DDR3 1066
Radeon HD 3870, x2 (crossfire)
1000W PS
Windows 7 Ultimate

PROBLEM
I cannot get Crossfire to work. CCC shows my second card as "Disabled" and I have no option to turn "Crossfire" on or off. Both cards show up on Device Manager and seem to both be working properly and GPU-Z says the same and shows "Crossfire" as Disabled.
WHAT I'VE DONE
-Switched card slots
-Updated my Bios
-Uninstalled both cards. Re-installed one, then installed CCC, reboot, re-installed second one (without bridge), reboot, install bridges.
-Reversed bridges
NOTHING. STILL NO CROSSFIRE!
Can anyone help?

Darklucas

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Same trouble with Dell XPS 630i with 2 x Radeon HD 3870 x2 (crossfire). The 2nd HD 3780 card got disabled when I got 11.10 of Catalyst :(

have 8Gb DDR2 800, Windows 7 64 bit, Quad Intel and soon 2 x HD 3780 video cards soon flying out the window. Even tried old 64 bit Vista drivers from 2009.. nothing.. eh.. sucks.. :fou:

Tried to see from charts what new card that would give me a boost of framerate (Age of Concan, DX 10 etc), but being Dell and a bit aged machine... probably might run into troubles getting a card to fit.. Hmm. my cards give 34,4 framerate of Alien vs predator medium..

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 1GB PhysX, CUDA seems cheap.. no idea what CUDA stands for... prob better framerate than my 2 x HD 3870 no matter..

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 1GB AMP! bit more expensive.. no idea what AMP stands for either...

Would any of those above fit a Dell XPS 630i machine? or do Dells have to weird motherboard (and probably too old) to get these cards?

Darklucas

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Um.. I just let steam reinstall the latest Catalyst drivers again.. and lo and behold.. my 2nd card was activated again... no idea what did the trick.. but what I did was:

Remove all drivers and reinstall x 4, and much more
Remove all drivers and got Dell XPS 630i drivers from 2009 from Dell webpage
Write above post
Let steam reinstall latest Catalyst again 11.10.. and.. videocard is linked again.. I can hear it working too since 2nd GPU card is a bit close to my soundcard. And AMD System Monitor confirms it.. works again :D

Ok.. wonder what did it.. might be the Dell drivers install again.. and framerate at Age of Conan DX10 with 1920 x 1200 and grass and stuff turned on.. allmost doubled :) from 9 to 15 (big map with lots of grass).. medium graphics.. 20- 40 fps in Chosain.. and low.. 55 - 60.. ok for me :) happy again now..