HD 4670 AGP will it handle my PC?

gaborell

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
thanks for the reply!

my mobo is only MSI PM8M-V

i bought this about last 2 yrs ago and changed my intel mobo coz its dead

the mobo supports AGP 4x 8X and my prob is my CPU will it be enough?

i have 2 Gig RAM win black xp edition. sp3.

i wish i cud buy a new rig but no budget for now so im trying to save as possible.

thanks for the reply =D

gaborell

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

thanks for the reply!

my mobo is only MSI PM8M-V

i bought this about last 2 yrs ago and changed my intel mobo coz its dead

the mobo supports AGP 4x 8X and my prob is my CPU will it be enough?

i have 2 Gig RAM win black xp edition. sp3.

i wish i cud buy a new rig but no budget for now so im trying to save as possible.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
the agp bottleneck is a hoax. ignore the marketers. you got a card going a million miles an hour, there is no cop wth a radar gun and spike strips at the end of the agp slot...it is going to keep on going...
which gets me to my only problems ever...

memory speed of card way mismatched to the system. I stopped upgrading my ht 3.4 prescott at the ati 3650, 400mhz ddr2 ram...and that is another hoax..they added channels to ram like hyper threading. the 400mhz is actually something else on a prescott than it is for a 533bus on same chipset. (I lived it first hand)

I say no to the 1333mhz ddr3, but its up to you..you have an intel 3.4 on via..and a tiny board, you like the risks of crazy fun. :pt1cable: go for it...

gaborell

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

bgd73 you have a point there.. the good thing about this card 4670 uses 59watts and just enough for my PSU.. ur saying i might burn the card? or the mobo itself?.. i really have no idea but if the best way possible to this pc to accommodate modern games in good resolution with no lag min of 25 - 30fps++ im in...

gaborell

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

'
How well the card plays?? im risking a 100$ for an old agp and i hope i can play a good reso with that card huhuh.. or buy a new pc.. im confuse.. my pc still runs good and just for a pci e i will be upgrading ( ir will be) need more comments and opinions thanks guys.

If you want to play newish games at decent speeds you will need to build a new computer. An HD4670 is a decent card for low resolutions but your processor is weak by today's standards. Without at least a dualcore CPU you are going to struggle with current games no matter what card you put in that machine.

rk0629

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
:non:

Posts like these (months old or not) bother me.

I'm playing quite a few newer games on my Northwood Pentium 4 HT 2.4GHz, overclocked to 3.2GHz on stock voltage with 2.5GB of DDR1 RAM at 417MHz and single, formerly epic X850 XT PE (256MB).

Under Windows 7 Ultimate, I can play Dragon Age: Origins, a supposedly CPU-intensive game, 14 at the lowset, 39 at the highest, FPS. Crysis about the same (not that I play with that anymore; got old quick). Granted, these are all low settings, but the point stands and these suggestions that older machines cannot run newer games are unfounded and made by people who have newer machines.

Older, more DirectX 9-optimized games like Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Fallout 3 and others run very well, from 30-60 FPS with spikes of 70-80 in low-activity areas.

The whole reason for this post (and the reason I found this thread thanks to Google; sorry necrobump-critics) is I'm planning to buy an AGP 8x HD 4670 as the final upgrade for that old machine. I'll let you know how that turns out.