HD 4770 vs. HD 4850

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The common quick response to these type of questions is: "512mb only good to 1680x1050, get a 1gb card if you want to run a higher resolution" which can be very misleading to the uninitiated. I mentioned my card as a reference point, that amount of Vram alone is not a dependable variable when chosing a card.

I apologize if I came off as "furious" to you, just trying to be clear about a trend that I have observed here regarding this issue. When I was a newb about these things, I was suckered into buying products that didn't suit my needs, because of my ignorance of the multitude of variables, that are dramatically altered based on a person's needs.

G

G

I am also debating this decision. Atm I have a 4670 that is beginning to struggle with my new monitor's 1680 res. Far Cry 2 causes lots of HDD access and Rivatuner reports that all 521 MB of vid memory is in use for much of the time.

Would the 4770's quad 128-bit bus coope better, or should I just go for a 1GB 4850? PSU will soon be a 500W Blue Storm.

Regards,

Mark.

TRENDING THREADS