HD 5770 power compatible w/ ASRock p67 and Sonata IV?

forgetcolor

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I'm putting together a new system and it's been a while since I've done this. Things have changed a bunch. I'm fairly settled on these components:

intel 2600k
asrock p67 extreme 6
hd 5770 (sapphire)
sonata IV case

The Sonata comes with a 620W power supply. The 5770 says it requires a 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector. Does that get fed from the motherboard or the power supply. And if the power supply, does anyone know if that Sonata power supply will have that connector?

thanks!

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Dedicated gpu's grab power from psu, and yes any modern day psu will incuse a 6pin pci connecter for gpu's.

Maybe i ask what your primary use for this will be? If your going for gaming your definitely too heavy on the cpu side, and should consider upgrading your video card

'75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector' refers to the cable that comes from the power supply. However all cards will get some (if not all) of the power required delivered via the motherboard slot.

The PSU that is bundled with the Sonata IV is the Antec Neo Eco 620, which comes with two PCIe connectors and is overall, quite a good unit for its price. So you even have enough connectors to power two 5770s if you ever want to do that, or upgrade to a graphics card that needs two 6-pin PCIe connectors.

forgetcolor

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

i'll be using it to develop and drive multimedia art apps. i often use feeds from hd webcams, process them, and spit those out to multiple screens in real time. the gfx are almost always 2d, but i tjought the 5770 miht be nice for its multiple mon support.

youre right on cpu...im now looking at the 2500k for the cost savings, but because i'm doing processing i do need decent speed.