HD 5870 vs 780TI for Crypto Currency Mining

Hello man

Honorable
Hey guys

So I have my watercooled PC set up mining with NiceHash miner for the lols and some extra cash. I am making about 2.2 USD a day on an overclocked FX8350 at 4.4 GHZ and my 780TI overclocked as well. However, though both are staying at or below 60C, I don't want to break this system, and I would like to make about $100 a month instead of $65 or so.

So, according to the web, the HD5870 does well mining at 450+ mH/s. I can get 5870s for about $30 on ebay. If I ran 4 of them, do you think I would make more?? I can't seem to find an easy way to test this without doing it.

Don't know the current situation but you'll just end up spending more on power than you'll ever make.

Hello man

Honorable

I have very cheap power. Less than 7 cents per KW/h

Also, because of the way nicehash works as a GPU farm pool you actually get paid well. A 1080TI gets you over a bitcoin a year.

USAFRet

Titan

The existing one.

It earns you a theoretical $2.20/day.
How much does it cost to run it?

Hello man

Honorable

$0.672 per day.

lots of people run multi gpu for hashing. It's actually relatively inexpensive. Assume a PC that use 1kW per hour (not too hard with 4GPUs) avg electricity price is $0.7/kwh, that's $1.68/day If he can exceed that in his workload then he's making a profit. Definitely a long term investment though. As it will take quite awhile to pay off the cost of the 5870s, faster if he's under 1KWh. Definitely a hobby level investment. It's like the guys that run metal detectors at the beach. They put in a lot of man hours and equipment costs that may just barely pay off in their findings.

Short answer yes more 5870s will hash faster but might use more power and wreck your profits.

edit new info

USAFRet

Titan

So....running 24/7, this earns a theoretical best case $1.50/day, $550/year., not counting hardware costs.
Your multi GPU may or may not pay off.

As said above, hobby level.

Hello man

Honorable

Oh yeah-definitely not attempting to get rich here. I am a high school junior soon to be senior and just want to have some fun that is cheap! An extra 500-600 bucks a year is helpful. I am just wondering if there is any ways to conclusively say that it will actually make me more money. I feel like it won't-the power consumption is too high and I would be better off getting a GTX 970 or even the R9 280x on craigslist for $100.

Here is the best comparison I could find. Down low in the comparison is a bitcoin mining score. GPU COMPARISON

Hello man

Honorable

That is a good point. It would get some isolation from the value fluctuation of Bitcoin too, in the sense that you would not just receive income in bitcoin as related to bitcoin, but would be selling in USD to people who will be mining all sorts of cryptocurrency.