[SOLVED] HD 6790 at 100°+ degrees 100% fan speed

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
So, before i start, i want to note that i have cleaned it, tightened the cooler to the chip as much as i could, changed the thermal paste, the fan is working, the case has good enough airflow and i removed the side panel so i wouldn't have a nuclear reactor by my side. Altough i know its very old, i have plans to sell it and get a rx 550 or gtx 750 (ti or not), but i just can't sell something that works as a water boiler( i live in argentina, and yes, people do actually still buy these things, and not to collect them or something) i suspect of two things, the thermal paste is generic, but im not sure if it could eleveate the temps 30° (i looked for its temps and at 100% stress it shouldn't get past 70), or and altough im not sure of it, i have a kind of a generic power supply, and i heard somewhere that a bad quality power supply can overheat your gpu, ( https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=66d160f1-4f96-4435-aa69-880c6ec90d4c ), that's the link for it, or it's name is noga atx 800, i know its not 800w but it is all i could buy, any help is appreciated and i will try to respond any question, Thanks!

CPU : I3 10100f
MOTHER: Primer B40M-A R2.0
RAM: HyperX fury 8gb 3000mhz
GPU: HD 6790
PSU: Noga ATX 800 (not certificated)

Last edited:
Solution
@alexvdm

Your English is fine and do not worry about posting mistakes.

As for any website such as Tom's learning to navigate around, post etc. can take a bit of effort and time.

= = = =

Sight unseen (other than looking at the link) I would avoid that PSU unless there is absolutely no other choice.

In many situations, people are limited one way or another in possible choices for hardware components.

Start with the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Two reasons:

1) To learn more about PSUs in general.

2) To use some of the calculators to help size the PSU needed for your build. (Plan for growth.)

Modular PSUs are not a necessity per se. And actually can be more of a...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

That PSU is a likely suspect.

Is it possible for you to obtain another known working PSU to swap in and test?

Remember: use only the cables that come with the test PSU. Do not mix and match cables between PSUs.

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

That PSU is a likely suspect.

Is it possible for you to obtain another known working PSU to swap in and test?

Remember: use only the cables that come with the test PSU. Do not mix and match cables between PSUs.
No, I dont have anyone who can give me a psu, altough im looking to change it, modular psu's are to expensive for me. what do you think about this one? ( https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=3fe7f727-aa92-4657-8f10-ac903e05d130 ), i know it's really cheap, but im 14 and i have been upgrading my pc with my own money

Ralston18

Titan
@alexvdm

Your English is fine and do not worry about posting mistakes.

As for any website such as Tom's learning to navigate around, post etc. can take a bit of effort and time.

= = = =

Sight unseen (other than looking at the link) I would avoid that PSU unless there is absolutely no other choice.

In many situations, people are limited one way or another in possible choices for hardware components.

Start with the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Two reasons:

1) To learn more about PSUs in general.

2) To use some of the calculators to help size the PSU needed for your build. (Plan for growth.)

Modular PSUs are not a necessity per se. And actually can be more of a problem if cables from other modular PSUs get mixed and matched in.

Do some additional reading about PSUs and builds/components in general. Assembly, use, and care. All three are all too often neglected by many end users.

Component User Guides/Manuals are a good place to start. And if the guides and manuals are available in both English and Spanish(?) then you can cross check meanings.

[But do not trust the manuals to truly help with English.... :) ]

You may have to set aside gaming etc. for a little while to earn more money towards a better PSU.

Be patient and take some extra time to figure things out and plan a fix.

That is my recommendation.

Solution