HD 6850 and 9400GT for Physx,MS 7525-is it possible?

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hello,
Is it possible to use a Biostar single-slot PCI-Express 9400GT 1GB(I already have it) for Physx with a Sapphire HD 6850 on an MSI MS 7525 Motherboard?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701251&lc=en&cc=in&dlc=en&product=3929100#N31

I read somewhere that-
You need a Physx compatible video card and two PCIex slots (whether it be x16/x8/x1). This mod only works on Windows 7 and Windows XP. for some reason it doesn't work on VISTA.

My questions are-
1)First,Is it worth it?I mean,is Physx really worth it in games anymore?
2)Will my case (Mid Size ATX- Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)

Bay Total Bays*
13.33 cm (5.25 inch) 2
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) 3

Pocket Media Drive 1)
be able to fit two cards?
3)Will my power supply(CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 460w) support them?
4)I have Windows Vista 32-bit.Since I could not find any proper links on Google,does anyone have any link how to install these modded drivers on Vista?(the article I referred to was in 2010,maybe something new has come along?)
5)Are these drivers/patches buggy/problem-ridden?
6)Will it void the warranty on my HD 6850(I purchased it in 2011) if I use modded drivers?(By the way,I purchased it from Ebay so I don't know if it is already void :??: )
7)The above article quote mentions it is possible to use the 9400GT(or any other Physx card)in a PCI-E x1 slot as well??????

I am just seeking opinions and advice....... :)

Just going to say this now, its really not worth it at all to use Physx. Not that many games actually use it, unless of course you play massive amounts of Mafia 2 that is. Its not worth wasting the power and either way, you actually can't fit it on the motherboard you have anyway, since you have only 1 PCI-e slot, which I would assume is used for the 6850 you have right now.

Just my two cents, Physx is so not worth it.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
If you want that configuration, you'll probably want to upgrade to Windows 7. WDDM 1.0 on Vista didn't like running multiple different driver stacks. It's one of the upgrades in WDDM 1.1 that ships with Windows 7.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
unless of course you play massive amounts of Mafia 2 that is

I do play massive amounts of Mafia II. :)

since you have only 1 PCI-e slot, which I would assume is used for the 6850 you have right now.

But the article mentions that I can use the Physx card on PCI-E x1 slot as well???And I have two PCI-e x1 slots on my Motherboard.............so,one is occupied by the 6850 in the x16 slot and one is free.

Physx is so not worth it.

Even in Mafia II?I never had the chance to experience it so that's why I am asking(I only had the 9400GT previously and it obviously wouldn't run Physx,let alone play it smoothly ;) )

If you want that configuration, you'll probably want to upgrade to Windows 7

That I can possibly do. :)

The ironic part is that I also play massive of Mafia II, great game. If you already have the card, then you might as well plug it in, no harm, just make sure to have the right drivers. I wouldn't go and buy a PCI-E x1 video card just for Physx personally, but its up to you. And yes, upgrading to Windows 7 would be nice, its so much better than Vista.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
The ironic part is that I also play massive of Mafia II, great game.

Whew! I thought everyone found it boring.......Very nice to meet you sir! :) And,is Physx really beautiful?

make sure to have the right drivers.

Where can I find them?And what about the PSU and the Warranty on the card?Will it cause overheating in my case(a Mid-Size ATX HP case)?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

I'm personally not a big fan of the Extreme Power Plus, as I have one. Its good for low end cards and stuff, and maybe even the card you have now, but you are better off getting a new one.

As for Physx, I don't use it. I have an AMD Radeon 6950, so it doesn't have it, but it looks fine to me. I also didn't want to bother with having to find a PCI or PCI-E X1 Nvidia card just for Physx, but its more of a personal preference thing.

It might actually cause overheating in the case though. I have a HP case on one of my computers with a dual core and a Nvidia GTS250, and the card does not get much fresh air. I wouldn't worry unless you have problems with the cards exceeding 80C.

As for the drivers and stuff, I'm sorry to say but I'm going to be of little help here, as I have not really done that kind of thing before. I'm sure there are other posts on the forum that talk about it though.