HD 6870 with CM elite power 460w?

shikhar_rastogi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello,
I have bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 (second hand.....7 months old...barely used and 2 years 4 months warranty ......) and presently i have a cooler master elite power 460 w (rated as 460w but is a 430 w PSU! :( )
The question is, can i run the hd 6870 with no overclocking at full load with this PSU....BTW i cant replace my PSU <b>now</b> ......have to use it for 4-5 months....my system specs

AMD Phenom IIX4 955 BE (125 watts)
Corsair 1x4gb ram
Asus M4N68T-M LE V2
Cooler Master elite power 460w

Please Help me :(
thanks in advance :)

NO! "Creative cabling" only works if the PSU is able to handle the intended load. I would not trust a liar-labeled CM for your HD6870. It may work, for a while (especially if you're gaming, not stress-testing), but it may smoke too. Fortunately, that IS one of the few low-end CM units that HardwareSecrets found to actually possess working protection circuits. The point remains though, all the creative cabling in the world won't make up for insufficient capacity.

shikhar_rastogi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

ok......by the way i knew that i'd have to use the Molex pin connector....and yeah i'll only intent to game at a resolution of 1366x768 (please dont tell me to not buy hd 6870 for a resolution of 1366x768 and to buy a hd 6770 or sumthing else.....i will upgrade to a new 24' monitor soon) and i will be playing BF3,Crysis 2,GTA 4 (and upcomming GTA 5 ),NFS RUN,Skyrim 5 ,Batman:Arkhym City .....and all the future games......so no stress testing playing at 1366x768 wouldn't stress my card i suppose(i think it will use max 60-70% of card).....and i will be upgrading to a corsair gs600 after 4-5 months or equivalent..... :)

Cooler Master Elite Power 400 W Power Supply +12V rail distribution:

• +12V1 (solid yellow wire): ATX12V/EPS12V cable, peripheral connectors and SATA power connectors.

• +12V2 (yellow with black stripe wire): Main motherboard cable and video card auxiliary power connector.

A Radeon HD 6870 that adheres to the reference design can draw up to 14 Amps if you were to run Furmark or OCCT GPU stress testing.

A more realistic draw would be 10.7 Amps.

If you were to use a 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCIe adapter cable you would be drawing power from both +12V rails so in theory it should be able to handle it.

I'm talking about just the graphics card itself, not the entire system.

With no overclocking the power supply should still be able to handle the power requirements of the system until you're able to replace it with a higher quality power supply unit.

It will be fine if you keep the total system power draw under 320 Watts.

shikhar_rastogi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

if i could i would've already bought it.....but i bought this PSU recently so no chance of getting a new PSU :(

Listen to K0888...you can use your current PSU as a temporary solution. If you recently bought the PSU, then is it possible to return/swap it with the vendor for another PSU?

TRENDING THREADS