HD 6950 horizontal lines, is it dead?

_CeeQuu

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Hi,

So i bought a fairly new used XFX HD6950 DD and after some driver updates and test runs this happened. Upper picture after boot and lower right after bios post. The distortion changes a bit if I slightly twist or nudge the GPU from the corner. Also sometimes it takes 3 tries for the MB to boot up. I have ROG 2 Gene with stock i7 950.

Should i have a funeral for my GPU?

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Asking after 3 hours of googling/forum surfing without an similar case and answer.

_CeeQuu

_CeeQuu

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Nope, it was fine for a half an hour or so after driver installs and then i started do some prime95 load tests and noticed my CPU heat was around 90c so i did some re paste to my cooler and after that the GPU went bonkers also.
I have a bad feeling that i might have shorted something with my hands at back of the GPU when i adjusted the fans while power on. ROG Gene is quite low on space so the Noctua fan and GPU are fairly close to each other.

_CeeQuu

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
The problem now being that i cannot launch windows i get black screen after windows load bar before login. Prehaps i can fiddle around in safemode with the drivers...I tried to downgrade the GPU with MSI Afterburner but the safemode does not load the driver for it to regocnize the GPU... intresting addventures in technical wonderland :)