HD 6970 Borderlands 2 FPS

Hurryheathen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hey everyone, I was trying to benchmark my system with Borderlands 2 today. So I first turned up everything to ultra and it chugged to around 10 fps. I turned down the resolution then to 800x600 still chugging. I then turned the Physx Effects to Low while leaving the resolution at 800x600 and hit FPS at around 50! Which I thought was great. I then turned up my resolution while leaving the Physx Effects on low and everything else on high and my FPS was hitting 75. Is it normal to turn up resolution and get a higher FPS? I thought it was the opposite.

I am running a
FX4100 3.6 Quad Core
8 Gigs Ram
HD 6970 Video Card

Solution

The thing you were experiencing was something called a bottleneck. You were relieving a lot off stress from...

The thing you were experiencing was something called a bottleneck. You were relieving a lot off stress from the gpu and it was therefor able to have a higher fps and thus requesting more less data but faster. Your CPU wasn't able to handle this and wasn't providing enough data to your gpu therefor it was only showing 50 fps. When you turned up the settings your gpu was being used more and your cpu was able to give it enough data. It is a bit weird however because normally you should get more fps when on lower settings than on higher settings. Also Physx is a Nvidia technology and only Nvidia cards have built in acceleration for it once you turn this on on a Amd card the cpu is used for all the calculations and is usually not able to keep up.

Solution