Hd 7870 Black Screen Problem with AMD drivers. I need help please

Jan 5, 2019
My pc is:
A10 7700k
Motherboard MSI A68HM-E33 V2(With te latest bios update 2018-11-02)
8gb Ram ddr3
1Tb hdd
"800w" Generic Power Supply(But this is not the problem)
XFX HD 7870 (With the latest vBios update)
Windows 7 64 bit

The graphics card works perfect with the Microsoft drivers. But when i try to install the AMD drivers the screen turns black. And i have to enter safe mode to uninstall them. I have been trying a lot of diferents drivers but no one works. What can i do? I think the GPU isn`t the problem because this problem is really common. Im desesperate, i have been trying for three days straight. I tried using Windows 10 and Windows 7, installing the drivers by the device manager but nothing works. I tried with another motherboard too and it`s the same.

Very interesting, I have an R9 290 and windows tries to install drivers before I can find them first, so I can't even tell you what AMD drivers are the right ones. Is the HD 7000 series even supported still? Might want to try 17.xx or 16.xx drivers or something. I'm gonna try disconnecting my internet and installing the drivers with a usb before Windows beats me to it, I'll tell you how it goes.

May 29, 2019
I even tried Catalyst 15.2 and i have the same problem. This type of error on amd cards is very old. Like from 2013 i think
I have the very same problem with a HD 6850 but discovered the black screen only occurs on Windows 7 and later and not on Winxp pro where the drivers instal correctly.
Seems like a conflict between O/S, older cards and drivers.

Last edited: