HD 7870 'dead' after thermal paste replacement

ClassiestMedic

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
Hi there! I've got a question regarding my Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition.

First, here are my current specs as reported by Speccy:
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU:
Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20GHz 60 °C
Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM:
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard:
Dell Inc. 0C2KJT (CPU 1)
Graphics:
DELL IN2020M (1600x900@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Dell)

A while ago, my computer started randomly blackscreening - the display would shut off, fans would spin up, peripherals would stop responding, and the machine would become inaccessible. I removed the side panel of the case, thinking that it might be a cooling issue. That didn't help much, and after the crashes started becoming more frequent, I figured that my gfx card might be the perpetrator, so I bought some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and reapplied it carefully to the card. The crashes stopped for a few days, and I mistakenly thought all was well. Then I was working on my computer when the screen went black again, and upon a restart I discovered that the machine would not boot while my display was plugged into the graphics card's port. There is no beep code, the display just turns on but remains black. All fans spin up, but the machine is unpingable and doesn't even display a BIOS menu. Plugging the display into the motherboard's integrated graphics card port causes the machine to start successfully, but no program can detect my card plugged into the PCI-E port, although its cooling fan is spinning, so it's obviously connected. This is disappointing because I often use programs like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro, as well as some video games, and these all require something better than Intel Integrated to work well. I've tried reapplying the compound once more, and have reseated the card many times, but nothing seems to work. It's very frustrating to have to deal with slower graphics, and I don't have the disposable income to go out and buy another card, so I was hoping that there is a way for me to troubleshoot further, and perhaps this is fixable - a wire that I accidentally disconnected, maybe? I am willing to to take the card out and photograph it if that helps!

Thank you for reading :)

It's sounding like the card itself may have died. It got progressively worse as time went on based on your description. Since your PC works fine using onboard video, but won't POST correctly plugged into the 7870 along with Windows doesn't detect it either, it's pointing towards the card. When using onboard video, does your BIOS list anything connected to the PCI-E slot? How long did it work correctly for?

ClassiestMedic

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't allow me to look at the status of the PCI-E slots
I'd say at least four days elapsed between me 'fixing' the card and the card dying
:)