HD 7950 boost to GTX 970.. does it worth??

ghemolang

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
want to get suggestions from the expert :ange:
i have a plan on buying a GTX 970 because my friend wants to buy my HD 7950 boost..
will it worth to buy a GTX 970 to replace my current HD 7950???
besides my 7950 can still play AC Unity at high settings including vsync and AA FXAA..and Far Cry 4 at ultra settings without vsync and AA SMAA at both decent fps..
will i sell my hd 7950 and spend for a gtx 970??
and by the way if i will going to buy a gtx 970 i can only afford the zotac dual fan (they say the reference design) .....zotac amp omega or palit jetstream brand.. because msi.. asus.gigabyte are a little bit overpriced here in my country:no:
and oh.. will my i5 2500@ 3.8 be able to handle the gtx 970??
thanks..

Solution
The cheaper card needs dual 6 pin PCI-E leads, the Amp! Omega card needs dual 8 pin leads, so you may need to upgrade the PSU in order to run the Amp! Omega Edition card.
They do not use the same cooler, the Amp! Omega clearly uses a larger one.
With 'only' dual 6 pin leads, the cheaper card is not really set up for high overclocks, and may not have very strong VRM circuitry so don't expect it to fly!.
I've also recently swapped from a HD7950 to a GTX970 (light factory OC) and the difference is immense, so much so I've taken to turning Vsync on in many games-I mean >300FPS out of Serious Sam HD, it's just plain silly...Nice but silly. :)
I'd go for the cheaper card.

ghemolang

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
if im going to get a 970 as said zotac is not a bad brand..and after searching it on google..which of this two??

http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-900-series/gtx-970/product/gtx-970/detail/geforce-gtx-970/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/gallery.html

or

http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-900-series/product/geforce-900-series/detail/geforce-gtx-970-amp-omega-edition/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/gallery.html

the other one has its backplate ..higher clocks and more expensive around 50USD...the other one doesnt have backplate and lower clocks..but can overclock it..and its much cheaper..i have read some threads in toms that it has the same cooler..

which will be the best choice..??

The cheaper card needs dual 6 pin PCI-E leads, the Amp! Omega card needs dual 8 pin leads, so you may need to upgrade the PSU in order to run the Amp! Omega Edition card.
They do not use the same cooler, the Amp! Omega clearly uses a larger one.
With 'only' dual 6 pin leads, the cheaper card is not really set up for high overclocks, and may not have very strong VRM circuitry so don't expect it to fly!.
I've also recently swapped from a HD7950 to a GTX970 (light factory OC) and the difference is immense, so much so I've taken to turning Vsync on in many games-I mean >300FPS out of Serious Sam HD, it's just plain silly...Nice but silly. :)
I'd go for the cheaper card.

Solution

ghemolang

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

i forgot to say my psu is a corsair tx 650m.. it has 2 6+2 pcie connectors..
if i will go with amp omega does the 50USD worth for it???
and besides im not planning to overclock it at very high clocks.. maybe overclock it a little bit but if it can run games smoothly why overclock?? right??

ghemolang

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

but the price

it costs 100$ more than 980 and gives double the performance..

here are some comparision benchmarks
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1351?vs=1187

nucolos

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

the amd is almost 200 bucks more on amazon and in best case scenario (4k), is 50% better.
And dont just recommend something because its better. The original question was about getting a 970. a $350 card, and you are recommending him a $730 one. Do you see the problem here?

i was just disproving a ridicolus point made buy Rit_86 " no single card AMD is able to match its prowess"

for the OP, YES 970 is better... it is worth the upgrade

here are some benchmarks to prove it
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1033?vs=1355

but i suggest him to wait till the r9 300 released.. the 970 prices will drop and he will get it for cheap

Rit_86

Distinguished

I said "no single card AMD is able to match its prowess" and to prove me wrong, you are using a dual card AMD as an example ????
That is ridiculous. The R9 295 X2 will bend on its knees in front of a pair of GTX 970's if you want a fair comparison.

The R9 295 X2 is a single card :pfff:

Radeon-R9Fan-WaterCooler-FrontAngle-570W.png

and no ! a 970 sli wont make this single card bend on its knees
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_SLI/9.html

bottom line is, is the performance worth the cost -- so if your old card can do the same things as the new card within x-amount of frames or what ever but to get that its costing you $400 to do so is that gain worth the $400 ???? if yes then go for it if not really right now hang in there until the new AMD cards come out and see what they may offer

i know.. but technicaly its still a single card..

you said clearly [strike] " no single card AMD is able to match its prowess"[/strike]

you should tone down your fanboying if you want to be a good forum member and be open to brands... :bounce:

also AMD's cpus use dual core modules in a series ... it has physical threads.. not virtual.. you cant just call it pseudo out of the blue

i totally agree.. :ptdr:

Rit_86

Distinguished

Though there are plenty of posts regarding why AMD 4, 6 or 8 core processors are not truly what they claim, here are 2 such posts.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/amd-bulldozer-series-quad-core-is-actually-a-dual--29318608/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1798367/true-amd-8350-cores-cpu.html
I am not a fanboy (unlike you, who seem to be an AMD diehard).
I look at solid technical stuff.
When Intel says their processors are 2 or 4 cores, they "truly" are so.
Last time when Nvidia was out to prove a point they are the true graphics card masters, they made the Titan, which was true, solid, complex engineering to actually make the then greatest of all graphics card.
AMD responded to intel's monster quad cores with a hyped pseudo octa core and responded to the Titan / Titan Z by stuffing 2 flagship cards on one board, instead of engineering a truly great product from the scratch.
Fact of the matter is, because of this lack of competition from AMD, today intel and nvidia can charge a "premium" for their products.
I am sorry, but unless AMD makes either a processor or graphics card that truly is what they claim, it is a dying brand, which has forgotten how to shake up the competition, like they did before, and made fanboys like you.

lol

your first post is abt outdated bulldozer

your second post is clearly says the same thing i said earlier.. dual core modules lined up

i stick to what i said earlier

Rit_86

Distinguished
"Outdated Bulldozer" ??? As if AMD has made any worthwhile changes to make their processors truly 4, 6 or 8 cores in these years even with its next gen piledriver? Just goes on to show how lazy AMD have been since Bulldozer came out in 2011.
I prefer Intel and Nvidia over AMD just because of their sheer technical prowess over the red team, not because I am a fanboy.
AMD was once a great name and I still remember when it came out with the AMD Radeon HD 5970 in 2009. Truly the greatest one in its time and Nvidia just had to wait for a year just to match it. Those were the days......
Anyway, it has been a pleasure arguing with you. It has been a long time since I last argued on the once hot AMD vs Nvidia or AMD vs Intel topics. :)

sure sure :) :hap: