HD 7970 Gigabyte RMA and help

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
This is my first thread on this forum so excuse any mistakes I might make as I am typing this on an IPhone. Ok, well I sent in a Gigabyte HD 7970 about 3 weeks ago for an RMA. I had talked to techs from Gigabyte about the constant crashes and grey screens I was getting, they were random and the card was well within average temps without any signs of overheating. I had also done some research and it appears that whenever someone had a similar problem they were able to RMA the card and either get a replacement or a repair.

It is being sent back to me just as I had sent it in. Now I am wondering; what else in my PC could be posing this problem of random video crashes that force me to hard reset? I am in distress because it has been close to a month without a functioning computer and I am getting a potentially broken card returned to me almost a full month after I sent it in.Could someone please help me decide what I should do next? Either check with Gigabyte again or check something else in my PC?

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Rosewill lightning 800 watt
CPU- I5 2500k
Board- MSI P67A-G43
RAM- 16 GB (4x4) GSkill Ripjaw

And I have been thinking of a fresh install when I get the card back.

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The thing that made me send in the card was the random video crashes. The screen would turn a color (usually grey) and it would have vertical stripes running through it. It would become unresponsive from there and I was forced to hard reset. I hope this helps determine the true problem. Thanks.

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Ok I will do a fresh install when I get the card, but is there anything that might be wrong with my system? Because I have everything except the graphics card.

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

That is exactly what I thought and why I sent it in. So I don't know wether I should call Gigabyte tech service or what and that is why i'm on here asking for help from you guys.

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hi, I just got the card back and did a clean install of Windows 7 on a newly formatted HDD, and within 20 minutes I got a white screen while using Firefox. I tested my CPU for problems and nothing came up. My RAM was also tested with no problems. I believe my motherboard is working fine and I'm not sure of my PSU. I'm not too sure on how to test it because I've heard that you have to use a volt meter and I really don't want to risk anything. My HDD is fine also. Any other suggestions on what to try?

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I'm talking to a tech from Gigabyte and they are just saying send in another RMA after telling me to switch the card to another slot on my board. I have had about 7 crashes since i installed the card yesterday. Is there anything else i could try?

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

The crashes are totally random. It can happen at any time, eg: using Firefox or gaming. My temps are totally within average and my card's fans are all spinning. I'm unsure of what could be the underlying cause of these crashes. I'm am becoming increasingly frustrated with each crash.

jsksjs

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Well the card is at stock clocks so it shouldn't be crashing my system. The model is GV-R797OC-3GD and it was purchased 1-27-12 from Newegg.com

Well since Gigabyte said the card was ok and it wasn't until months after you got the card that this started happening then my guess is that it's another componet.Though it's nearly impossible to tell which one it is because the average person doesn't have the tools to do it.The best thing you can do(if you can spare the extra money) is to take your whole PC to a local repair shop.They can run all sorts of tests on each componet to see where the fault is.Not much else you can do.