HD coolers?

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I was wondering if hard drive coolers make a significant improvement in the performance of a hard drive? Or if it makes any difference at all? I rarely hear people talk about them which makes me think most people don't use them but if anyone does, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Coolers WONT increase the performance aspects like seek times, transfer rates etc,
and if your drive is well ventilated and runs cool (like my 60gxp) they are also useless.
however if you have drives stacked closely together, or they are in a not very well ventilated case or are fast 10,000 or 15,000 prm scsi drives then a cooler may very well increase the lifespan of your drives by reducing heat related problems (e.g. glitches, excess noise due to overhot bearings etc)

hope this helps

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well all i did was go to my fave (and cheapest) retail store and say GIMME 40gig 60gxp now mate!

i got the drive, in its antistatic bag, and a reciept/warantee.
thats it

is that classed as oem or retail?
*shrugs* works for me though :) :) :) :) :)
took me about an hour of very careful fiddling to rearrange the drives though. damn restrictive atx case :(

and my mobo is so old it didnt recognise anything over 33.8 gig. daft thing.
not to worry... gonna get a a7v and a 1200C to go with that 60gxp soon! *girn*

I would show you some apathy, but i just cant be bothered.

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
If it came in its IBM box with a manual and cables and all that jazz it's retail. But if it comes in no special box and it's only in its antistatic bag it's oem. The warranty is the main thing though.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well then mines definately OEM
actually... i heard somewhere else its actually hard/impossible to find retail versions of the 60gxp.

I would show you some apathy, but i just cant be bothered.