Question HD division?

May 18, 2022
I got a new computer around Christmas. Been Ill so just fooling w/ it now. It has my 1tb HD divided like this
OS(C:) 217GB Data (D:) 810GB
By default everything goes to C when I download it. I do 3d graphic art and some games . The art stuff.. models, textures, programs, renders take up a lot of space. So C was nearly full. I couldn't copy over 20-30 graphic files at a time because it said my OS didn't have enough memory because of it. I finally got it done and freed up about 100 GB.
My last pc I think my OS was also by it self but not on with everything else?
Why did they do this?
Is there a way to download and install stuff by default to D?
This is my computer.
asus rog r7 rtx 3060 desktop
Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Downloads through the browser are easy to change.
Each browser has its own settings for this.

Installing applications, that is done individually. You do NOT want to try to force all applications to be installed elsewhere. Tears will result.

Saving your graphics files, easy.
Designate some other folder/drive, and "Save as...". The next time you save something from that application, it will probably default to that location.

Game installs, especially Steam, are easy to default to other drives.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

May 18, 2022
A 1 TB drive, with 2 partitions that add up to 1027 GB.

I'd expect to see a total of perhaps 931 GB.

What is it that I don't understand?
I tried and this forum won't do anything but bring up http. on the insert image button. And http
A 1 TB drive, with 2 partitions that add up to 1027 GB.

I'd expect to see a total of perhaps 931 GB.

What is it that I don't understand?
Ok.. it says http:// when I click the insert image button above. The attachment button says insert url. I don't have that. Ctrl +v won't do a thing and Ctrl +p (as they tell you to do) opens the stupid printer.
I have windows 11 and I cannot even seem to get my snipping tool to save anything anymore. I had to printscreen and past in paint and crop. But cannot get it in here.
Also I was wrong about one thing. It does say C 217 and D 931 . The 810 is what's available on D still.. oops.
And yes that adds up to over 1 TB but if you look at what are supposed to be my specs.. it says 1tb HD.
I'm gonna reset my browsers.
I don't think I'll try moving my games just now. I only have 2. The largest is WOW. The other isn't too big I'll just keep an eye on it.
thanks all !

Also I was wrong about one thing. It does say C 217 and D 931 . The 810 is what's available on D still.. oops.

It appears that you in fact have 2 separate drives.

One is most likely 1 TB total capacity with 810 gb available on a D partition.

The other is of unknown total capacity containing the C partition.

But you need to post a picture of Disk Management so this can be confirmed or refuted.

how much space is showing as busy/free on C;Drive within 'this PC'? (The 'low on memory' message is disconcerting, but was often given when C;Drive space was running low, oddly enough...)

with some 217 GB, I'd suspect this a 240 G SSD, with perhaps a hidden recovery/restore partition...? WOn't take many apps or games to fill a 240 GB SSD.....(as you might very well be now discovering)

You can regain some space (10-20 GB?) quickly by adjust recycle bin properties to manual, set for just 2-3 GB, vice the default 5-10% of the drive's capacity typically wasted for this function....

If your C : drive is running low, you can acquire a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD for about $65/$100, respectively....