wreed

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I bought an enclosure for my SATA drive and have it working great on my ION media center pc. My issue is that I have to switch on the power to the enclosure when I boot up my media pc and shut it down. Is there any way to get an enclosure that uses eSATA to power this drive without a power cable? Or is there a case where I can use USB to power it and have it do data through eSATA? I am streaming video off the drive, can I just use USB 2.0 or will I get bottleneck and experience slowdown on my video viewing? Please help, offer any ideas I am open to getting a new enclosure. THe HDD is a 5400 RPM 2 TB drive that is SATA.

You might like to read the following primer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

"In computing, eSATAp (also known as Power over eSATA, Power eSATA, eSATA/USB Combo, eSATA USB Hybrid Port (EUHP)) is a combination connection for external storage devices. A single eSATAp, eSATA or USB device can be plugged into an eSATAp port. The socket has keyed cutouts for both types of device to ensure that a connector can only be plugged in the right way round."

wreed

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
My media pc doesn't have a eSATA combo port or eSATAp....

Is there any way to have a eSATA enclosure and use the usb for power? I really hate using the switch :)