HD jitter problem

bugmenot1983

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi,

Got a problem:

When playing HD videos, after a few minutes the video begins to jitter.
Other video file types run excellent.

Some jitter also occurs when running for instance a web page with many flash videos and a movie.

I tried to run HW monitor to see temperatures but there doesn't seem to be a heating problem.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks!

PC Wizard info:

> Mainboard : Gigabyte G31M-S2L

> Processor : Intel Pentium E2180 @ 2000MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT fanless

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (2000GB)

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (500GB)

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD800JB-00FSA0 (80GB)

> Monitor Type : Toshiba TOSHIBA-TV - 42 inches at

> Current Display : 1920x1080 pixels at 60 Hz inTrue Colors (32-bit)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

I would guess that your fan less card is getting hot during HD playback although the HW monitor is reporting the GPU fine it could be the Vram. You can test this with some makeshift cooling (Fan) blowing on the card.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It looks like your system is a tad underpowered to me. That is a high resolution to obtain with just a Pentium with 1 MB Cache and an 800 MHZ FSB combined with a budget GPU of that vintage. I am picking it is time to make that investment.

bugmenot1983

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
So you guys think I should get a new system with a more current cpu and a video card with a fan?
I thought those fanless cards are meant to be ok cooling down with those cooling metal solutions?

If there is not enough airflow around the card it just builds up heat, the higher the load the hotter it gets. Your system should be plenty to play HD videos and as you say the jitter starts few min into the playback which points to heat issues.