HD LED TV vs LED Monitor

anirba@3d

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I do not have an idea about the difference between LED TV & LED Monitor.

Please explain

I can buy 2 x 22" 3D LED / Normal LED monitor or one 32" / 40" 3D HD LED TV.....

In case there is any marginal difference I will prefer second case as it will serve both the purposes....

My graphics card will have a DVI & HDMI out..... (MSI / Zotac GTX 550 Ti)

I have noticed contrast ratio in monitor is much lower than tv

anirba@3d

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

yes i remember that happens....when we check those tv at shopping malls....if i use wireless kborad and mouse at sit back 6 ft from the screen....as it is 32" or 40 " is it be ok...or i should buy two different things for two different purpose...

My job is basically graphics oriented like 3d modelling, rendering.....so i hope it will require screen perfection.......

Please recommend two good Monitors (16:9) 22" & 24"

the main difference between the two is the size. by the time the two look comparable in "definition" you will be sitting far enough back that it might be uncomfortable to read text on the tv (and from personal experience text is always harder to read on tvs than on monitors for some reason). also at that distance the size difference between the tv and monitors is negligible (due to perspective).

for that reason alone the smaller monitor would be a better choice.

i work in the computer aided drafting and design (cad or cadd) field which does alot of 3d modeling and i can tell you that you definitely want a monitor that is capable of delivering a decent pixels per inch (ppi). a higher ppi will make it much easier for the end-user to get their work done. also, two monitors (or one large monitor such as the expensive and monstrous u2711, a bit more common in graphic design though) are pretty much a standards in the fields.

the reason for this is because when you are 3d modeling (again ,depending on actual situation and programs used) you normally have many different viewports (windows) open to allow the end user to visualize what they are modeling. all these viewports take up screen real estate (space) so the more you have the easier it is to work. one screen can feel cramped, two seems to work out very nicely, three is a little too much to handle but once used to it can be useful, dont go more than 3, two is ideal.

if i were to make a suggestion you should get two 1920x1200 monitors around 22" in size. if these are out of your budget at the very minimum 1920x1080 resolution. personally i'd go with ccfl backlighting (models without an "led" tag on them however led backlit monitors would work also. if you are doing any sort of rendering where you need colors to be very accurate you will want to look at p-ips, h-ips or s-ips monitors (instead of tn, va, e-ips). if those are out of your budget or if you dont require such accuracy i'd go with an e-ips or va panel.

----

short answer:

buy two 1920x1200 (or 1920x1080 at the minimum) monitors instead of one large 1920x1080(1080p) television.

anirba@3d

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

thank you very much for your nice explanatory ans.....yes 22" is in my budget.....I feel I must take two monitors at same size.....because it looks odd..otherwise...1 17" & another 24" highly serve the purpose.....

I would like to go with a 16:9 ration......like 1920X1080..

In my office few monitors are there which is not in 16:9...or 4:3..so we see circle as a deformed one (eg ellipse) because windows does have few 4:3 option and few 16:9 but not that exact what is required as per screen size..so I have decided to go with standard..Pls rectify me if I am wrong......

Please name of Exact Brand and Model.....Which is best......

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
anirba@3d , sorry to use your thread.

Hi ssddx , I have similar concerns.

What if considering between LED TV / Monitor and considering both of same sizes say 24inch?

are there similar accuracy concerns existing then?

I am also looking for a monitor with TV or separate monitor and TV for similar situations as anirba@3d

I bought SAMSUNG S24A350H 24inch, it does have viewing angle concerns. when you shift your head, visuals change.

any particular benefit for CCFL while LEDs is everywhere?

please suggest

anirba@3d

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

No you can highly use my thread

As per the reply I have understood that Monitors are better for textual matters....TV s are for their specialized operation....

Just read my thread in detail you will get your answer......