HD options

G

Hi, I need to correct my storage problems.
My current drive setup is:
4 Gig disk drive SCSI ( 2 Gig Win 95, 2 Gig W2000) IBM-DCAS-34330W Win95 drive is @ 75% full, W2000 is @ 99% full.
9 Gig disk drive SCSI 10,000 rpm SEAGATE ST19101W (original video drive)
80 Gig disk drive firewire (IEEE 1394) 5400 rpm (external) SYM13FW500-DISK DRIVE IEEE 1394 SBP2 (added for greater video storage).
Should I dump the Win95 since I don't absolutely have to keep it? Then convert the entire drive to W2K. If I dump Win95 what is the procedure for making the drive a single 4 Gig?
Should I buy another drive? IDE or SCSI? I tried installing an IDE but it wanted to be the master drive so I ended up with the Firewire drive because it was easy it install. Would it be easier to install a SCSI since there are already two SCSIs in the system? How is this done? Would a program like Partition Magic make this task easier? A lot of questions needing answers. Thanks for any suggestions you have. GTH

G

During the first stages of the W2K install it will ask you in what drive and partitions do you want to install and give you options to make changes to the partitions.
Select the 4G drive, then delete the current partitions and create one larg partition on it.
Install into it.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would actually dump Windows 95. You will be a lot happier using Windows 2000 in NTFS. You can still keep both operating systems, but you won't be able to see the NTFS volume in Win95. You get a lot of the reliability from 2000 from the NTFS filesystem itself.

I would go SCSI if you have the cash and a good controller. Other then that go IDE, just because it's cheap performance.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

Thanks for all the info. Now in order to dump the W95 do I format drive C:, then install W2K on that drive, then format drive E: (my current W2K drive)getting rid of my present W2K. After that I presume service pack 2 should be installed. If this is correct will the CD drive work to boot from? Will the video card still work so that I can read the monitor? As you can tell I'm quite insecure about all this, but I must do something. Thanks again to all of you. Tom Hand

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
cant you do an fdisk to make 1 partition of 4 gig, format, and then bootup from cd, and install win2k ?

(this gives you the most clean setup)

<i>DEAT<b>Hope</b>ratesINsilence</i>

G

Boot W2K off the cd or floppy disk set.
On the first stages of the install W2K give you the options to partition and format the drives.
delete the existing partitions on drive 'c' and create one big partition. Format it using NTFS for maximum performance under W2K.