HD playback issue caused by processor?

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
For starters I'm not really sure where this thread belongs but I'm guessing here is okay.

My issue is I downloaded some movies in HD, but when I go to play them the frame rate seems slow so the audio and video don't sync. My first guess is my computer specs weren't good enough but after searching the web a little I found people playing HD movies on their computer with lesser processors than my own, but some suggesting a minimum if a C2D. My specs should be my signature; I'd appreciate help from anyone.

Your processor shouldnt be that much of a bottleneck...what are you using to play the movies? also have task manager open while you play the movies and see if you have any spikes in cpu usage.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I was playing 720p/1080i from a network server using A64 3000+ at stock and a 6600GT, at about 40% CPU utilization using VLC perfectly so I don't see any reason why your proc would be the issue....if you're using Windows Media Player I'd try something OTHER than that first...

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I was using WMP but I also tried some free player (I forget the name) and I wasn't getting the right amount of FPS. The movies are 1080p though, so I guess that may also be another issue.

endyen

Splendid
Most platback problems are memory related. Usually it's the amount on the gfx card. In your case, you should be okay.
You might want to check in bios though, to make sure that fast writes are enabled, and that the aperture size is at least 256.

G

The problem may be that your nvidia card isn't helping out your processor.
It will only help if you have purevideo (for which you have to pay) and are playing a disc (not a mounted image) +dhcp+nero or powerdvd.

Just get an ati video card with dhcp support and it will take a load of your processor.

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I'm using similair specs to you and I don't have any problems so, I will give this a shot...

1) Make sure you have all necessary codecs installed (e.g. Xvid Divx etc.)
2) Try playback on 720p and see if that is faster (if so:)
3) Try upgrading your memory a little, like 512mb.
4) Try also, uninstalling the free video player and just use wmp, as they might use some files that conflict.

I don't have the best knowledge on this, but try them. I do recommend 1) and 4) before trying ro upgrade RAM.

Hope I helped.