HD space vanishing?

Hi, I've just freed at least a 100MB of space on a FAT32
HD, but it never turned up as free space. Actually, every
time I delete something, the space that should come
available just vanishes...

I have no viruses or trojans according to symantec (both
online and home-based). Chkdsk can find no errors or huge
amount of bad sectors. However, whenever I try to use the
error checking function (from the properties window) with
both the 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan
for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' options, it
refuses with: 'The disk check could not be performed
because exclusice access to the drive could not be
obtained. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur
the next time you restart the computer?' As far as I know,
it doesn't do this on restart. All is in administrator mode.

All help much appreciated!

dl

Unless you permanently delete and or clean the recycle bin the space will
not be available.
Chkdsk should start on reboot, it cannot run whilst logged on, to repair.

"Jeroen" <jeroen@giststraat12.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've just freed at least a 100MB of space on a FAT32
> HD, but it never turned up as free space. Actually, every
> time I delete something, the space that should come
> available just vanishes...
>
> I have no viruses or trojans according to symantec (both
> online and home-based). Chkdsk can find no errors or huge
> amount of bad sectors. However, whenever I try to use the
> error checking function (from the properties window) with
> both the 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan
> for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' options, it
> refuses with: 'The disk check could not be performed
> because exclusice access to the drive could not be
> obtained. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur
> the next time you restart the computer?' As far as I know,
> it doesn't do this on restart. All is in administrator mode.
>
> All help much appreciated!

Yes, I forgot to mention that I do really delete files and
that my bin is empty, without the space coming available.
Chkdsk indeed starts after rebooting but does not detect
any disk problems...

Could it be that my hdd is slowly falling apart?

Thanks for the input.

Did you empty the recycle bin ?