HD Tach??

G

I recently installed HD Tach and was running it, and i was in shock. It showed NOTHING like i expected for my system specs. I was expecting reads like 30+MB/sec... instead i was seeing like 2MB/sec... and access times like 18ms...

I don't think HD Tach was wrong either... when i've copied large mass data from one partition to another, it takes awhile, much longer then it should.

I went through my BIOS already... everything is setup for AUTO, both in detection and in Mode Detection. Which according to my motherboard manual, should auto confige to Ultra/33/66/100 according to the HD.

I am using Ultra 100 IDE Cable that came with the motherboard.

I am using win2k

I went through my OS, looking for any DMA enabling, both via properties and the Drivers. I didn't see anything anywhere to enable it.

I am bewildered as to why my read/write speeds are so low, not to mention my access time.

When i ran Spinrite from Dosmode, i got like 9MB read/write and access of 9ms... although this ms is on par... the read/write is not...

Any constructive advice?

MotherBoard: Iwill KK266r
Processor: Athlon T-bird
Speed: 1.4ghz/266 bus
Ram: 512MB PC133
HD: IBM -DTLA-307045
Video: Voodoo3 2000 PCI
SoundCard: Creative Labs Live w/ Live II
DVD and CDrw (TDK)
Zip 100
NIC

Not using any Raid setup, nor are any devices on the Raid Array.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
not sure about harddrives cause i run my ata100 off a controller card, but i know for dvd/cdr/cdrom, etc. udma is not enabled automatically in w2k. to do it go to device manager (right click on my computer/manage/device manager), then expand ide ata/atapi controllers. right click on each channel then go to the advanced settings tab. see what it says on those. if you tranfer rate is that low and access times that high, you might want to get ibm's utility (drive fittness test?) and see if it says anything wrong. i think someone else here had a problem like that and it was a bad drive.

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

G

I went into the Device Manager, in the Primary/Secondary IDE and had changed it to "Ultra DMA if able"

both my CD roms are showing up as Ultra DMA now..

But my HD still shows up as PIO

I downloaded IBM feature Tool, made the boot disk.
Went in, changed the HD to Ultra 100 DMA...
Turned off machine, turned back on..

Still shows up as PIO

G

I downloaded the Fitness Tool as well... ran that..
according to it, the HD is enabled for Ultra DMA 100...
but in win2k, it still only shows up as PIO

G

I found the problem..

win2k does not support Ultra DMA 100

I had to upgrade to SP2 before it would work.
Now HD Tach is reporting figures i expect to see ;)

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Look for a BIOS update. I run HDTach and before my BIOS update I was getting 80MB burst transfer w/ 13.5ms seek and an average transfer of 31MB/sec. Once I did the BIOS update I got 9.1ms seek, average transfer of 36MB, and burst transfers of around 75MB.

Just a thought if an update is available!

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS