HD Tune shows calibration retry count on my seagate external disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz Laquinon

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I've notice that whenever my storage volume reach 50% the transfer rate drops down to 333/kbps so I tried running some diagnostics on HD Tune and it's shows a warning on "Calibration Retry Count", but on crystaldisk doesn't shows any warning signs. Ive been using this for 1 year and 2mos now. No more warranty

Hope anyone can help me.

Seagate 1TB HDD
http://postimg.org/image/ah7zfy29h/
http://postimg.org/image/da16zz2lx/
ah7zfy29h

da16zz2lx

Solution
Hi there Kaz Laquinon,

The good thing is that there are no bad sectors on the drive. Though, Calibration Retry Count could sometimes indicate some mechanical problems.
Is the drive under warranty? In case it is, you can contact the manufacturer's Support and see what the guys over there will tell you.

Apart from that, it is always a good idea to back up at least the most important data stored on the drive, even when you are not facing any issues with it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Because crystaldiskmark doesn't show warnings and usually any storage monitoring software just shows pass or fail for smart attributes. Hdtune just shows warnings when it gets close to threshold which is still technically fine. So when the hdd is 50% full it gets slower? What are you doing exactly that's 333KBps?

Kaz Laquinon

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Thank you for the quick reply. yes, if the capacity of my storage hits almost 50% or i don't know if this may be the reason. (based on my obsevation). it started to copy files really slow from 300kbps - 1mbps. before crystaldisk has been showing warnings on "Recalibration retries" and so I perform a complete wipe disk (zero fill). so I thought I had fixed the problem.

Hi there Kaz Laquinon,

The good thing is that there are no bad sectors on the drive. Though, Calibration Retry Count could sometimes indicate some mechanical problems.
Is the drive under warranty? In case it is, you can contact the manufacturer's Support and see what the guys over there will tell you.

Apart from that, it is always a good idea to back up at least the most important data stored on the drive, even when you are not facing any issues with it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.