[SOLVED] HD with OS not in boot sequence

Sep 26, 2019
Hi all,

strange situation (mind I'm only basic tech savvy and not native english):

my father was using regularly an older usb device (debit card reader for onlinebanking). yesterday it caused a strange crash (wasnt there) and afterward his desktop pc refused to boot again.

after looking a little bit around, i discovered, that although the bios was detecting the bootable HD at the SATA overview, this HD wasnt listed/selectable in the boot sequence, thus no booting. Nevertheless, after manually starting the bios boot manager during startup, it was in the list of selectable devices, and after choosing it, it booted normally.

Thus right now, the only way to boot the PC, is to manually start the boot manager.

Any ideas? Thx in advance!

Solution
It seems, you have some sort of confusion about legacy/UEFI boot modes.

If windows is installed in UEFI mode, then Windows Boot Manager is to be used as first in BIOS boot priority.

Other boot options are for legacy boot. If windows is not installed in legacy mode, then those boot options are unusable.

And yes - failed BIOS battery is the most likely cause for BIOS settings being reset.
It seems, you have some sort of confusion about legacy/UEFI boot modes.

If windows is installed in UEFI mode, then Windows Boot Manager is to be used as first in BIOS boot priority.

Other boot options are for legacy boot. If windows is not installed in legacy mode, then those boot options are unusable.

And yes - failed BIOS battery is the most likely cause for BIOS settings being reset.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS