Question HD120 RGB fans and Icue not finding all fans.

Aug 21, 2019
Hey guys,

So I just built my first rig and it has gone surprisingly well so far. I had a weird initially reboot, adjusted my HDMI and monitor settings and its been pretty smooth sailing ever since. However, I am having an issue with Icue finding my all 3 of my front intake fans. It is finding my RAM and my 3 radiator fans, however, Icue doesn't seem to recognize the others. All of the fans light up and are actually in unison so I'm not sure what is going on.

I did seem to connect the fans to the wrong pins on the board. What I thought were 1, 2 and 3 turned out to be 2, 3 and 5 according the bios. Anyway, if this is fine I am wondering what I need to do to find the other fans or if there is some sort of mechanical error I made that needs to be adjusted.

Thank you for the help ahead of time!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Argb/rgb lighting is totally seperate from the fan itself. So it's not surprising that the lights work, but the fans may not.

The aio fans will be (should be) on a 3way splitter to a single header, or a 3way splitter as part of the pump, controlled by USB. So iCue is going to see those. The pump will be attached to the cpu_fan header, so iCue should see that as well. That header should be set for 100% in bios. Any deviation in speeds will be from iCue, overriding/replacing the bios settings.

Which leaves how the front 3 fans are attached. They should also be on a splitter to a single header, so inaffect will be 3 headers total. ICue won't find 3 seperate fans, it'll only see 1 header, and there's no data or info on the fans at all, so you'll only see a single header populated, whether that's sys_fan2 or 3 or 5.

Bios fan power control should be set to auto, if the front 3 fans are 3pin and bios is set to pwm, they get a constant 12v, and no control. If your bios has individual power settings, you'll need to set the intakes header for DC voltage, not pwm.

Everything needs to match up, or iCue will have an issue.

Reactions: Inkedsleeve
Aug 21, 2019
Argb/rgb lighting is totally seperate from the fan itself. So it's not surprising that the lights work, but the fans may not.

The aio fans will be (should be) on a 3way splitter to a single header, or a 3way splitter as part of the pump, controlled by USB. So iCue is going to see those. The pump will be attached to the cpu_fan header, so iCue should see that as well. That header should be set for 100% in bios. Any deviation in speeds will be from iCue, overriding/replacing the bios settings.

Which leaves how the front 3 fans are attached. They should also be on a splitter to a single header, so inaffect will be 3 headers total. ICue won't find 3 seperate fans, it'll only see 1 header, and there's no data or info on the fans at all, so you'll only see a single header populated, whether that's sys_fan2 or 3 or 5.

Bios fan power control should be set to auto, if the front 3 fans are 3pin and bios is set to pwm, they get a constant 12v, and no control. If your bios has individual power settings, you'll need to set the intakes header for DC voltage, not pwm.

Everything needs to match up, or iCue will have an issue.

Well, I seem to be something more wrong than I thought. I can't change the lighting effects on any of my fans. Icue reads the speeds of fans 1, 2 and 3 on the AIO but its not finding any fans to control the RGB. I think I actually need to buy the a node pro, I have all the RGB connecting to a node. The RGB has power and they all light up its somehow getting the software to find the fans. Corsair has an adaptor to change RGB and lighting but I didn't connect it. Could that also be an issue?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rgb and fan are seperate. 2 seperate things. The RGB on the fans is identical to an RGB Strip. And that's exactly what it is. An RGB strip attached to a fan. You have a lighting circuit and a fan circuit.

So start from scratch. Forget iCue for now, forget about lighting for now. How do the fans hook up. The fans on the AIO should go to the pump and that goes to cpu_fan header. (you haven't said what aio). The intake fans should be on a 3way splitter to a sys_fan header. The rear exhaust (if using one) should be going to its sys_fan header. That's it. 2 or 3 fan headers populated, USB from pump, Sata to pump.

The lighting is similar. Depending on how many actual rgb you have, those circuits either go to a splitter to the RGB header or to some sort of control box or node, which also will be attached to the motherboard and power.

I really wish ppl would get their **** straight, and that includes vendors. RGB and ARGB are not the same thing. RGB is 12v, single solid changable color, ARGB is 5v addressable, multiple colors possible. Those Hd120 have multiple color ability, they are ARGB.

Aug 21, 2019
I'm not having any issues with my fans working or lighting up, my only issue is the effects and ability to change the color from the default rainbow setting. They all turn on and I can change the speed in the bios which I need to do (Is there a good curve guide?) I can simplify the wiring as you recommended by getting a 3-1 converter for my intake fans which would give me a bit of a cleaner look but they at least work being plugged in individually. However, I need hardware (a little remote with buttons I can hook up) to get the fans to change without iCue and if I do want iCue to get more RGB control I need pro node (corsair) in order to use software to change the lighting. I think that is what I need anyway.

I have all the RGB connecting to a node
If all of your case fans are connected to a seperate controller then you need a wire from the controller node to the motherboard to be able to control them by software. Otherwise the software can not see them.
Also on the controller, all fans need to be connected in order. 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc...
Do not skip a connector, they must be in sequence.

TRENDING THREADS