HD4850 and Blu ray disk playback

bandit385

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I built my first PC a few months back. (Asus P45 motherboard, Intel 2 quad core processor, HD4850 graphics card, LG blue ray burner/player, Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium). Initially I installed the HD4850 graphics card with default windows drivers. (I do not recall installing the Catalyst software or using the ATI drivers disk & Catalyst was not loaded.) It seemed to work fine and I had no problems with playing a Blu Ray disk using PowerDVD ultra on the player I have. Recently, however, I updated the HD4850 drivers and Catalyst software with the drivers that came on the CD. I also updated the latest Blu ray drive firmware. Ever since, I have not been able to play either of the Blu ray disks I have. It appears to play for a few minutes and then locks up. I have tried a different Blu ray player program. I have also tried to update the HD4850 drivers and earlier HD4850 drivers as well, but still having the same problem. Unfortunately, I can not roll back to the previous driver.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it a problem with the ATI drivers or Catalyst program? Is there a way to remove the Catalyst program and use default Windows vista drivers? Any help is appreciated.

Run Cyberlink BD adviser, obviously PowerDVD is not recognizing the drivers.

This is a common issue and as instructed you may need to roll back both the drivers and PowerDVD itself (uninstall completely, reboot, reinstall) to get it working again.

Check the Cyberlink forums, I had an issue recognizing disks (not start then stop) when I first got my external LG drive, and simply a re-cleaning fixed the problem (I think it clashed with remnants of my old Xbox HD-DVD drive).

BTW, why can't you roll back to the previous drivers? Did you try using Driver Cleaner?

Check with the Cyberlink forum first though.

bandit385

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I tried removing and reinstalling PowerDVD, but still same problem. Cyberlink BD adviser results for graphics card is "Unknown". The info link to the Cyberlink web site shows:

ATI (minumum requirements): ATI Radeon X1600 series, X1800 series,
X1900 series
ATI (recommended requirements): ATI Radeon HD 2400, 2600, 2900,
3400, 3600, 3800 series

So, since the HD4850 is not listed, does this mean its not supported?

Also, not sure why I can't roll back the graphics driver now, but that option is greyed out. What is Driver Cleaner?

Wolfshadw

Titan
So, since the HD4850 is not listed, does this mean its not supported?
More than likely, it means the page hasn't been updated since the HD4xxx series cards came out.

Also, not sure why I can't roll back the graphics driver now, but that option is greyed out. What is Driver Cleaner?
You should be able to run ATI's Software Uninstall program to remove your currently installed drivers. Driver Cleaner is a program that will remove remnants of ATI (or nvidia) drivers that the Uninstall utility doesn't remove.

The procedure I use is:

1) Download the latest drivers (or latest recommended drivers), but do not install them.
2) Download and install Driver Cleaner.
3) Run the ATI Software Uninstall utility.
4) Reboot the system to Safe Mode.
5) Run Driver Cleaner to remove the remnants of the ATI Graphic Drivers.
6) Reboot the system normally. Windows should prompt you with New Hardware Found prompts. CANCEL THESE!
7) Install the drivers downloaded in step 1.
8) Reboot one more time.

-Wolf sends