not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Hello

I would like to buy a headphone for my laptop
Its the msi gt63 titan

Mostly for music and games
I dont make music and dont play competitive

Since its for a laptop and i want to carry it all in a laptop bag and travel around with it and not bother with long setup sessions
i wont have any dac or amp for it

I narrowed down my options to the:
Sennheiser hd600 (based on its specs the laptop in theory can drive it)
Beyerdynamic dt770 (most reviews say better than the m50x but worse than the hd600)
Audio technica ath-m50x

Both closed and open back are fine

Which one would you recommend?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
D
The Dragonfly is pretty well rated. I haven't used myself. Here's a review with the HD600.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...red-and-dragonfly-black-ampdacs-review-page-2

In my opinion the HD600 and HD650 do vocals better than any headphones I've heard. The Sennheiser 'house sound' is slightly mid forward of neutral. The mids are where the vocals are. So that gives you a sound of the vocalist standing in front of the rest of the music. The DT770 you heard is a V shaped headphone with boosted highs and boosted lows which makes the mids recessed. The DT1990 Pro is much more neutral than the 770. The 1990 Pro has more detail, better bass and higher resolution than the HD600 and the 1990 does vocals almost...
D

Deleted member 217926

None of the above. The HD600 is a legend for a reason but it's 250ohms and needs an amp of some type. The 80ohm DT770 would probably work. It's a closed back V shaped headphone with some real sub bass and some people find the highs too bright and even painful but they don't bother everyone. The M50X is just terrible and shouldn't be recommended to anyone.

How about the Massdrop ( Drop ) x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee. It's easier to drive than the 600/650 and doesn't scale with a better source like they do so it's better for portable use. It retain the Sennheiser open back mostly neutral with slightly forward mids 'house sound'.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

There's also the Sennheiser HD599 or the Philips Fidelio X2. The X2 has a huge soundstage and great bass for an open backed dynamic. It sat at $300 for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2HR...B01N5VHLUG/ref=pd_cp_23_4/145-8484614-1077207

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Thank you

I have the hd600 for trying out right now
(the people in the shop said they will pay back the full price if i give it back in 14 days)

They dont sound like broken headphones even with a weaker source they work
What i mostly dont like about it is the strong clamping force and the no mic xP

Interestingly what i can say about the sound that its better than any other headphones i have in 4 things:

No distortion on higher volumes
No noise if im fiddling with the cable
The high pitched sounds can go higher in this
And just the best base ever xP

The x2hr is available here is that also better?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The 600 will get loud from an underpowered source but you have to give it some power to fill out the entire frequency range. The 600 and 650 are legendary in that they scale with a better source. They both absolutely reward tube amps too. But in my opinion having the good headphone is where you start. You may not ever want to put more money in an amp/DAC chain but if you do the 600s will reward you.

You can fix the clamp force by doing this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U

Just go slow. You can always do it again. I did it to my 600s and 650s and it works fine.

The HD600 is to this day the absolute neutral reference headphone. Equal weight is given to the bass, mids and treble. There are headphones that are better obviously but very few are as good with tone and timbre.

The Philips is... different. Much wider soundstage with some mid bass warmth. More compareable to the HD650 than the 600. It's very good especially at the price but I'd pick the 600 10 out of 10 times over it except maybe for gaming. I love my 600s. :)

Thank you

I have the hd600 for trying out right now
(the people in the shop said they will pay back the full price if i give it back in 14 days)

They dont sound like broken headphones even with a weaker source they work
What i mostly dont like about it is the strong clamping force and the no mic xP

Interestingly what i can say about the sound that its better than any other headphones i have in 4 things:

No distortion on higher volumes
No noise if im fiddling with the cable
The high pitched sounds can go higher in this
And just the best base ever xP

The x2hr is available here is that also better?

As a cheap and more comfortable option to the HD600 you can try the Philips SHP9500 are worth trying. From the sounds of how you describe the headphones compared to what you have, you don't have any good ones at all even in the level of the SHP9500, which are $65 on Amazon now. The x2hr models are a bit "better" but keep in mind that "better" in audio is mostly a personal pick. Some people like sound that would be horrible to "audiophiles" and what some "audiophiles" like others don't. Or like myself feel that spending $600 on a headphone over a $100 or $300 one won't give you that much improvement in sound vs cost.

I would rather have several cheaper but "good" headphones vs one that is thought of as "amazing" for more money. My small collection is all a bunch of sub $100 headphones IEMs with only a single IEM that is over $100. I like having the different audio flavors to pick from rather than a single more expensive set.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The SHP9500 is a great $70 headphone but it's no HD600. The 600/650/6XX are the cheapest way to get a true hi-fi experience. The 9500s are very good for the price though. As are the Creative Aurvana Live which uses a biodynamic driver like my Fostex cans. The HD600 delivers the music as it was recorded and doesn't color anything.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv7eoP4gAPg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRJfHTMXiwk

The 58X gets a bunch of hype ( Zeos :rolleyes: ) as a budget 660S too. It's not. Much more comparable to a Sennheiser HD598/599 in sound. It has the same grainy treble. It's a great headphone but it's no 600/650.

I still use my almost 10 year old HD598s as daily drivers but I may retire them for the K712 Pro soon. It's just as if not more comfortable and it's better in every way.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Thank you for the responses

What i meant is the x2 is not available only the x2hr (so will the x2hr work if i cant get the x2?)

The open back is pretty good
Althou what i mostly use it for is that i dont need to take it off to hear other things i just mute the laptop and thats it xD
I cant exactly hear a difference in the sound because of it thou

I would like something that is all purpose to me it seems the hd600 is pretty good for that even gaming sounds are best in this :)

I really feel the explosions unlike my other headphones where its more just shshssshstds

About the amp/dac im not sure why i would need one the sound is pretty great as is no hissing or distortions or any "problems" so i basically have no idea what "better" would sound like or why would i need it (for now)

But i do would like to know if i sould exchange the hd600 for the x2hr since i can for free

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The X2HR has the same drivers and sound as the X2. It just has a slightly different headband and removable pads. It sounds the same.

In my opinion the 600 is better than the X2. The X2 has a wider soundstage and more bass but the 600 has more 'correct' bass and is more correct tonally. BUT, you may like the X2 better. Try them and compare if you can. I think you'll go back to the 600s but everyone is different.

Just like with good speakers, good headphone benefit from a quality amp. The better the amp ( and DAC ) the better they will sound. A high end speaker would make sound if it's plugged into a clock radio but you sure wouldn't be getting what the speaker is capable of that way. Same with good headphones. The 600 is just so much better than anything you've ever heard you don't realize it can be better. :)

If you're interested other people's experiences with the HD600 here's some lite reading. A 1300 page thread about them on Head-Fi.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
thanks
i know that site its pretty good :)

ill try the x2hr this week if it arrives when its supposed to
for now i dont expect much i think they will sound the same to me (with the hd600)
i like how famous the hd600 is and its pretty cool to have one
but imo (from pictures) the x2 just looks better xP

i could try the dt770 pro REALLY not for me
very comfortable but far not the sound i like
i think the hd600 sounds way better (but is less comfortable to wear)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

Did you bend the HD600 like in the video I posted above?

The X2 aimed at a different user than the HD600. The HD600 is a reference headphone for uncolored audio as it was recorded. The X2 is warmer with a wider soundstage and is more of a 'flavor' headphone. It's great for entertainment and gaming and will even be good with a lot of music but it's not going to give you the same neutral sound as the HD600.

But everyone's ears and preferences are different. I like reference and flavor and that's why I'm up to 8 pairs of 'good' headphones. I can't pick just one! :p

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
i dont want to "change" the hd 600 for now since im giving it back to try the x2hr xP

if eventually i go with the hd600 ill surely bend it like in the video thank you for sending it :)

i think i will try the dt1990 too thou before deciding (if i got the chance)
and the lcd2 as that has like as much of a fame as the hd600 so im pretty interested (but more than likely i wont keep that one)

D

Deleted member 217926

The DT1990 is a step up. It's basically a 'super' HD600. I really like it. You really need a good amp and DAC at this level. I haven't heard the LCD 2 but the LCD 2 Classic is bassy and dark. Darker than I like.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
But the thing is im buying specifically for my laptop now not for living room use :/

Otherwise i wouldnt be against getting dac /amp

The dt1990 isnt that expensive either but i tried the dt770 and didnt like it so im not too sure about it :/ (it was very comfortable thou :) )

D

Deleted member 217926

I find the 770, 880 and especially the 990 way too bright. The 1990 Pro is one of my favorites though.

There are plenty of GREAT portable headphones amps/DACs. AudioQuest Dragonfly, xDuoo XD05, iFi Micro/Nano/Black Label, Chord Mojo, Topping NX4, Fiio Q1......many more at just about every price point.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
hmmm...
which one do you think would be worth getting?
the audioquest dragonfly is available and not too expensive how is that?

the FiiO Q1 II is more expensive but still alright

the chord mojo is way too expensive (even more expensive than the dt 1990 pro lol)

i actually have no idea what "bright" in sound context means xD

but what i heard was i couldnt hear the vocalist as clearly as with the hd600 and i dont care about the instruments that much xP

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The Dragonfly is pretty well rated. I haven't used myself. Here's a review with the HD600.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...red-and-dragonfly-black-ampdacs-review-page-2

In my opinion the HD600 and HD650 do vocals better than any headphones I've heard. The Sennheiser 'house sound' is slightly mid forward of neutral. The mids are where the vocals are. So that gives you a sound of the vocalist standing in front of the rest of the music. The DT770 you heard is a V shaped headphone with boosted highs and boosted lows which makes the mids recessed. The DT1990 Pro is much more neutral than the 770. The 1990 Pro has more detail, better bass and higher resolution than the HD600 and the 1990 does vocals almost as well. At least on an isolated vocal track. If you add in backing vocals and multiple singers the 600s are better. The 600s are more laid back. The 1990 Pros almost throw the music in your face. I don't keep anything I don't love and I have them both. :)

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Oh and bright refers to treble extension or the highs. Some headphones ( and speakers obviously ) toe the line. Like the 1990 Pro. To my ear the highs are just perfect and they stop right at the line where they'd be annoying or even painful. Where as in the DT770 the highs keep going too far and they're too much. The 770s can also be sibilant when really high sounds can have a painful SSSSSSSSSSSSS sound to them.

TRENDING THREADS