HD6870 grey screen only working in safe mode

volcom

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
I have a pc with a HD6870 that started acting up yesterday.

The pc was running fine until i got a screen with white/grey lines. After that it gave no signal after every reboot.

I opened up the card and reapplied thermal paste, now the card is working in safe mode.

I used ddu to remove the driver and rebooted into windows. It worked but whenever i install the driver again it crashes to a grey screen. Rebooting does the same thing.

Is the card dead or am i missing something?

Solution
it is time to get a new card. 6870 is considered quite old by today standard. even card such as RX460 or nvidia GTX1050 is faster than this GPU by quite a bit. heck it is even faster than the fastest card available during AMD 6k era.

kookie3010

Honorable

then u know the answer already.u can try baking the card(not advise to do so) to see if it will come back to life.my baked gtx 660ti still lives on till today.but is suggest getting a new card unless u need the 6870 for spare.

it is time to get a new card. 6870 is considered quite old by today standard. even card such as RX460 or nvidia GTX1050 is faster than this GPU by quite a bit. heck it is even faster than the fastest card available during AMD 6k era.

Solution