Hd6870 no video display

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello,
I decided to apply thermal paste to my old hd6870 because it was having some bad tempretures earlyer today. Any way it is no longer showing anything on my tv. What could have gone wrong? is there anything i can try to fix it? (used mx-3) thanks

Solution
Hmmm. you had igp activated prior? It might be your motherboard using the igp as the primary video output. Use the igp and change your motherboard bios setting to run the gpu and if needed disable the igp. Shut down plug HDMI into the gpu and start up.

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
In that case pull the card. Check the 6 pin connector on the psu side to insure it's plugged in. Check around the gpu cooler screws for stray scratches on the pcb. If you have another comp, plug the card in their and test. Does the gpu fan spin up when the comp is powered on?

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hiya,
my psu isnt modular so the 6 pin connectors dont come off and yeah i checked for scratches earlyer couldnt seem to find any. also yes the gpu fans spin and all the leds come on as they should. I had some luck when i had my igpu enabled at the same time as the dedicated gpu.(Had the hdmi installed in the igpu) It seemed to have detected it in windows but when i installed the drivers and restarted it i couldnt find anything on the TV, Even tried to put the hdmi back in to the hd6870. Thanks for ur help any more suggestions?

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hmmm. you had igp activated prior? It might be your motherboard using the igp as the primary video output. Use the igp and change your motherboard bios setting to run the gpu and if needed disable the igp. Shut down plug HDMI into the gpu and start up.

Solution

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I managed to solve it by using the dvi port on the graphics card via a dvi to vga adapter. using the vga is not as sharp as a hdmi. Im thinking of geting a dvi to hdmi convertor, do these work well?

inf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

I cant rma this its years out of warranty which is why i risked changing the thermal paste on it to begin with, I contacted the guy i bought the adapter off and he told me a dvi to hdmi connection isnt suppose to be as good as a regular hdmi connection. Is that true? i thought since they were both digital outputs it would be fine.